1972 351c temp problem not ?

Hello All 

I am having a strange problem while driving today the temp gauge went to the Hot after checking under the bonnet all looked ok so went to drive away and notice lights on up to Hot , lights off back to middle great normal temp . 

Any ideals what's happening between lights and temp gauge  .

any info would be great Thanks Nige

I had a similar issue a couple years ago.  While driving the temp gauge went to hot.  When I pulled over to check the gauge went to normal.  Drove again and it went hot.  Again, normal while at idle.  Long story short,  I had forgotten to reattach the chassis ground to the fender apron below the voltage regulator.  At rest it was touching the apron and grounded and the gauge was good. While driving it would swing away and lose ground and the gauge went hot.

FE177109-A1-C8-4-A6-C-9224-AACCFD66-C3-C9.png

Rick Bombard

1971 Grabber Green Mach 1 351C 4V

2013 Race Red California Special Convertible

1973 Medium Copper Metallic Convertible 302 4V     SOLD

1953 F-100 SOLD

It could be the temp sensor going bad or perhaps someone installed it using Teflon tape, which will cause a bad ground (earth in UK speak). Use a conductive thread sealer. 

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

18 hours ago, Nige said:

Hello All 

I am having a strange problem while driving today the temp gauge went to the Hot after checking under the bonnet all looked ok so went to drive away and notice lights on up to Hot , lights off back to middle great normal temp . 

Any ideals what's happening between lights and temp gauge  .

any info would be great Thanks Nige

99% chance it's a grounding issue. Clean the battery to apron to block ground connections and inspect the cable.