Leaf spring install issue.

My son and I were starting to put the rear suspension back in the Mustang today, everything was going great until we got the new leaf springs in…the springs look like they are too short, the shackles are pointing towards the front of the car. I called Eaton and they said that I might be able to use a rachet strap or something? I need to compress the springs in some way to get the shackle pointed toward the rear. Any ideas? These are +2” springs, so I suppose that will make it all the more difficult. Could I unhook the rear shackle and then use a jack to compress the spring till it rides the frame back far enough? 

F08979B1-7819-476C-A5D8-35FE69904A32.jpeg

6CF23EF9-6A2C-440C-89BD-5AC4F47EBEA8.jpeg

Edited by Fredensborg

large.fredensborg.jpg.ea0287683b42221ffb
Jason
1973 Mach1 Q-code

My carbon footprint is exceptionally large.

• Fredensborg changed the title to Leaf spring install issue.

After giving this a second look, maybe it’s ok? Here’s a video of me pumping the jack under the pumpkin. It appears to be traveling where I need it to go. The car is on jack stands right now so there is no weight on it at all. But I don’t want to tighten everything up if I have done something stupid here…

Jason
1973 Mach1 Q-code

You should be fine.  With out the weight of the car on the springs the arch in the spring is going to pull the shackles forward.

• Thanks 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

1 minute ago, Kilgon said:

You should be fine.  With out the weight of the car on the springs the arch in the spring is going to pull the shackles forward.

That’s kinda what I suspected, it just looked weird to me and I wanted to verify. Thank you!

Jason
1973 Mach1 Q-code

1 hour ago, Stanglover said:

Check the Eaton videos posted before. Tighten and torque to spec with the full weight on the axle.

Correct.  Hand tighten leaf spring bolts, then drive slowly around the block or two; then tighten to spec.

• Like 2

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg