Dash pad Metal cover help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Could someone post a picture of the top of their dash from outside of the car showing the alignment of the heater vent with the metal top (the big piece that the vin plate attaches too). Foe whatever reason the last time I had mine out it just doesn't look right. Everything bolts in with no rattles but it just looks off to me. Like the metal part is not far enough back to align correctly. It like its not close enough to the windshield.

Roy, I'm not sure this is what you want to see or not. If not I'll try again. Chuck

IMG_3245.jpeg

IMG_3246.jpeg

IMG_3247.jpeg

I can't really tell from the outside as the black band at the lower edge of the windshield blocks the view. When viewed from the inside it looks like the edge is touching the windshield. The three metal clips that hold it in place can be a PITA to get in place and fully seated. Chuck

I can't really tell from the outside as the black band at the lower edge of the windshield blocks the view. When viewed from the inside it looks like the edge is touching the windshield. The three metal clips that hold it in place can be a PITA to get in place and fully seated. Chuck
See mine is about an inch away. but what's odd is all the screws line up perfectly. I really don't see how it could slide under the actual pad but maybe it has. I guess pulling it back out is back on the list.

See mine is about an inch away. but what's odd is all the screws line up perfectly. I really don't see how it could slide under the actual pad but maybe it has. I guess pulling it back out is back on the list.
If I remember right (getting old) there is some adjustment between the pad and the metal.  It seems I read somewhere to get a tight fit you want to leave the nuts loose just enough that you extend the metal out from the pad.  Using the vent slots take and push the metal forward as far as it will seat into the clips.  Then push the pad forward to line up the screw holes on the dash.   

Thanks I have it out now. There is a small amount of adjustment. (Slotted holes) Maybe when I was having gauge issues, having it in and out a few times it just slid fwd in the holes. Moved pad back in the slots as far as possible. Will see if it looks better and can get screws back in..

I am in the process of putting my dash pad back in.
Spent most of the afternoon working on it.

My original one was cracked, so about 10 years ago I bought a replacement from dashes direct.  I think it was advertised as Ford tooling, but who knows.

Color match with medium blue was very nice and it seems to fit well, BUT most of the screw holes didn’t lineup...so I had to elongate the holes to make it work...just like everything with restos, it was a trial and error process....so spent/wasted most of the afternoon working on the fit. I think I have had it out 6 times so far tweaking the holes...maybe one more time tomorrow.

As the metal piece had what appeared to be a piece of tape on the underside of the front part of the side ( I assumed to prevent rattles), I put a thin layer of weatherstrip on both the drivers and passenger side.

It didn’t affect the fit, but too soon to see if it prevents a rattle....never had any rattles in the past up front, so I have my fingers crossed.

I hope to have it screwed into place tomorrow.

cheers

Back