FMX rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Just got my FMX bask from Trans shop.  They had it for almost 2 months.  Seals dry, clutches had hot spots and reverse band bad...  After getting back shop told me to replace converter due to no engagement concerns.... Pissed me off cause I was ready to install it.   Son recommends upping stall from old 2200-2400 and go to 2400-2800.  Any comments?   Now looking for converter, as it seat on jack stands most of the summer.

Alan L

If you are looking for a converter you might try Spec Rite Converters in Redding / Anderson CA (call them).  They sorted out a botched converter for me and I have seen their shop first hand.  Nice shop, sharp folks.  I have an FMX converter core I can drop off there if you decide to use them.

Newby here to the sight and  wondering about your engine,  is it basically stock or are there any power or performance enhancers on it - camshaft, pistons, heads or head work?  Generally higher than stock stall converters are utilized to let the engine build power in within its power band- such as with a enhanced or performance cam shaft,  generally something with greater than a 107-110 lobe seperation on the camshaft.  I don't know about the specifics of your build but the other thing to consider is that higher stall converters also develop higher trans temperatures so you should think about adding an additional trans cooler in line with the factory set up.  

Back