Factory Stereo Wires

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
I was wondering, have any of you used your factory power wires for your aftermarket stereo and if so are you getting a lot of feeback or engine whine? What is the best place to pull the power wire power for a new stereo?

Run a seperate wire to the acc on the fuse block. If your still picking up ignition whine (Which mine didn't). They make an in line filter/choke that will eliminate it at Radio Shack.

Its been awhile since I had my factory radio out, but I believe you can use bullit connectors on your new radio harness and plug right into the factory harness without cutting it. Hopefully someone else knows for sure.

That was my plan. Use the clamp on for the radio power cable and go directly to the fuse box for the clock and radio memory power. I have not put a radio in a car in over 2 decades and the last one I did the damn thing whined so badly I said I would never do it again. Thats my fear. When I do something it has to be perfect or I have to redo it over and over until it is and I hate doing things more than once. Anal retardation is what I think they call it.

Personally I use marine grade butt conectors with the solder and sealer in them. That way you don't have to worry about corrosion down the line. I bought a small pen torch at hell anywhere for like $13 flame is only about 1/4 in wide by 1 inch long

DSCN1123.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You my friend, scare me.
Think that's bad? Here's a pic of me soldering the connectors on my car:

eqo0b9.jpg

That was my plan. Use the clamp on for the radio power cable and go directly to the fuse box for the clock and radio memory power. I have not put a radio in a car in over 2 decades and the last one I did the damn thing whined so badly I said I would never do it again. Thats my fear. When I do something it has to be perfect or I have to redo it over and over until it is and I hate doing things more than once. Anal retardation is what I think they call it.
Hi Fordication,

The whinning noise is usually from crossing or running power lines together with rca jacks or ground wires. I've done this years ago and learned my lesson by not running the power line near any rca's or speaker wires. Do this and you shouldn't have anymore whinning noises bleeding into your speakers.

Think that's bad? Here's a pic of me soldering the connectors on my car:

eqo0b9.jpg
Now thats funny, I dont care who you are.........
I would only use that for battery terminal connections
The white man's attempt at polynesian fire dance?

Well I got the speakers and the stereo installed yesterday and turned it on. I guess I am getting old, the damn stereo has way too many buttons and features I do not need. All I need is fade, balance, and the ability to adjust bass and treble. This damn Kenwood has every concievable control you can imagine and its all so small I can see any of it. Oh well, sometimes its better to have more than you want then less than you expect. I guess this is one of those times, now to figure how to turn the damn thing off. BTW, it sounded good, clear and loud. Pearl Jam was acranking.

I had mine installed back when I was in high school, after pulling my dash to repair something, I noticed that they cut the old harness and just used wire nuts to connect everything, cheap asses! So I pulled it all apart and soldered everything together then used shrink wrap, used the factory power wire and have never noticed any whine in the sound.

Back