Anything between cowl panels?

Hey folks,

I'm drilling out spotwelds to seperate part of the upper cowl panel. Upper and lower seem a be liking eachother a lot and are not letting go easily. Probably a few welds I missed but I'm still curious; in the factory, did they put any sealer of primer or glue in between the panels before welding?

Cheers,

Vincent.

They can be a pita. Are you using a spot weld cutter or drill bit?   Try to find the center of the spot weld by feel instead of looks.  Some of them take a couple of cuts next to each other to get loose.  I found in some areas there are welds right next to each other.

20180906_113232.thumb.jpg.1e6e7acb5afaf8e4f647aadfc6d2c95e.jpg  

Edited by Kilgon

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

OK, probably nothing in between then, that's good to know.

I'm using a spot weld cutter now (did previous work with spot weld drill bit) and that goes pretty well. I don't want to have to bend the edges of the top panel coz I have to put it back so I'm going to have to be careful.

I shall proceed with caution then :-)

Thanks guys!

An air hammer with a chisel for spot welds does quick work of them. I just had to remove a front floor pan on my 1971, and If I had just used a spot weld cutter it would have taken me forever. The air hammer with the chisel cut through the weld spots in seconds. 

Vinnie

according to the Jim Osborn Assembly Manual, there is a layer of sealant between the upper and lower part of the cowl, exact at the same location where the weld spots are.

Cheers Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

4 hours ago, 71ProjectJunk said:

An air hammer with a chisel for spot welds does quick work of them. I just had to remove a front floor pan on my 1971, and If I had just used a spot weld cutter it would have taken me forever. The air hammer with the chisel cut through the weld spots in seconds. 

I never used one but it makes me think you end up with completely f-ed up sheet metal?

32 minutes ago, Vicus said:

Vinnie

according to the Jim Osborn Assembly Manual, there is a layer of sealant between the upper and lower part of the cowl, exact at the same location where the weld spots are.

Cheers Frank

Oh, great :-/ I'm going to have to get some extra tools...

A = sealant 

1 = cowl top panel

3 = body / fire wall

20210909_142418.jpg.d3a7b794f60fcfc61e293e2c0f79547d.jpg

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

44 minutes ago, Vicus said:

A = sealant 

1 = cowl top panel

3 = body / fire wall

20210909_142418.jpg.d3a7b794f60fcfc61e293e2c0f79547d.jpg

I see. I'm leaving the lower cowl section though. So there is nothing between the 2 cowl parts afterall, pfew :-)

On 9/8/2021 at 8:48 AM, Bentworker said:

Not that I know of.  

Try a panel separation knife / chisel.

DE8581C8-9FA0-413C-AA68-BE86719525D1.jpeg

The panel chisel is your best friend after using the spot weld cutter tool.

Edited by tony-muscle

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

For the upper panel that is not going to be saved, I take a grinding wheel and grind that panel very thin.  Then the panel separating knife can tear it off (like foil) with only light tapping with a hammer.  

Edited by 73MustangCoupe

Ron

The Rickster, a 1973 Mach 1, being restored as a tribute to my brother who passed away with COVID in July 2020.

Billy, a 1976 Ford Bronco, also needs a lot of work.

El Guapo, a 1986 F150, frame-off Resto-Mod.

Also, in the queue, a 1950 Ford F1 Panel truck and 1962 Falcon Ranchero

15 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I never used one but it makes me think you end up with completely f-ed up sheet metal?

The sheet metal that you are wanting to remove will end up looking like the top of a can of sardines when you crack it open, it will roll up into a ball as you push the air hammer through it if it is thin and not held up by something, but usually what you are removing will not be reused. The part of the sheet metal that you are not removing should be for the most part unaffected by the air hammer. Do not use an air hammer if you are looking to reuse the sheet metal that you are removing, but if you are changing the cowl panel, an air hammer will take it out so fast it will make your head spin, it just blows through the spot welds in seconds, then lifts the sheet metal till you get to the next spot weld, and then it is blown out in seconds and you go onto the next. This is not a precision tool, but when you are just removing sheet metal that will go into the trash, it goes super fast.

Yea, but I ~am~ keeping the top panel and need to put it back after I repair the lower panel...

I'll find a way, I usually do :-)