Time to Finish the Interior Properly…

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7173Vert

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Convertible, 1973 Hardtop
In ‘71, the rear seat belts (all four pieces)on my Vert came up from the rear of the seat, therefore, no cut indentation’s in the actual rear side interior panels as seen on later years.

Additionally, the 71 Vert’s did not come with the rear passenger side ashtray unless you upgraded to an interior optioned package… 

So finding exact replacement interior rear panels for my car was a challenge… Initially, after searching for nearly three years, I was unable to locate factory original replacements that were in near NOS condition, so I restored the originals in my car c/w the speaker covers. 

Then one day on ehay, I came across a set that had been pulled out of a car 30 years ago and stored… Buy it now price: $200 including shipping… I live in Canada and the seller honoured the shipping inclusion (which in my estimation would have cost at least $100, if not more due to the package size). Great score IMO. The only down side was that they are vermillion and I will have to unfortunately redo them in white. 

I have now pulled the originals and will now start the process of changing over to these exceptionally nice and rare… 71 only interior rear panels. Other then still having to change out the “BELTS” light on the dash (another rare and near NOS piece I was able to acquire a couple years ago), this changeover will complete the interior restoration of the car.

It’s a bit of work as you have to install a new windlace piece in matching colour and the top window chrome/felt piece. These were stapled into place at the factory and I ensure the staples are reused on the new panels. PIA, but must be done.

I’ll update this if anyone is interested when I am finished the switchover.

FB18AD8C-FBA5-4611-9F11-608E7D34BE13.jpeg

FE2F555F-07F6-486F-BC74-B02A93336E07.jpeg

2C7269A9-F7FD-43F1-BFD6-155046DB5769.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am interested - I am faced with the same situation.  My original '71 white interior quarters are heavily UV damaged.  I am hoping (dreaming) of finding NOS, but will probably have to send them off to Just Dashes for refinishing. 

I am interested - I am faced with the same situation.  My original '71 white interior quarters are heavily UV damaged.  I am hoping (dreaming) of finding NOS, but will probably have to send them off to Just Dashes for refinishing. 
I’ll keep an eye open for you too. Do have the exact same as mine or with the ash tray?

Finished the refurbishing and reinstalling on the 71 Standard Interior (Base) Convertible rear seat side panels. Faux speakers covers are gone and the interior is now back to factory appearance. A bit of delicate work, I changed over the new (at the time) side panel wind lace and the new top window felt piece (I even reused the original staples from the factory so the appearance is correct). I installed new (3 pcs. On each panel) tonneau cover buckle snaps as well. A nice job to finally have completed and I can now enjoy looking in the back seat area…

4F9EE96C-FC13-4CD9-82DF-5593FAF4C1C8.jpeg

B67E9132-D224-41D1-A0CA-ACC22775206F.jpeg

That looks fantastic.  Every time I see your car, I can’t help thinking that’s what I want my car to look like.  Having the same 71 white standard interior I watched as you handled so many of the same interior issues I’ve had…but your results are the ones I need to reach.

That looks fantastic.  Every time I see your car, I can’t help thinking that’s what I want my car to look like.  Having the same 71 white standard interior I watched as you handled so many of the same interior issues I’ve had…but your results are the ones I need to reach.
Thx. Time, perseverance, money and finding the right pieces if you need them. Sounds like you know what you want to do, hope it comes to fruition for you.

I’m curious what Just Dashes does to restore these? Do they just redo the colour or can they address the damaged grain pattern due to the UV exposure? My original speaker cut out versions were heavily UV affected (AZ car) and I basically had to sand them smooth I order to redo them properly. My new panels have 95% grain intact, just a little wear up at the buckle area.

From what I understand, they have a process that resurfaces the parts with a thin textured vinyl cover.  I would imagine it is similar to what they do to recover the padded dash parts or the deluxe door panels, but without the padding behind it.  It's not perfect, but best I have seen so far.  Their process would also match the colors of their door panels, so that is a plus as well. 

Last edited by a moderator:
From what I understand, they have a process that resurfaces the parts with a thin textured vinyl cover.  I would imagine it is similar to what they do to recover the padded dash parts or the deluxe door panels, but without the padding behind it.  It's not perfect, but best I have seen so far.  Their process would also match the colors of their door panels, so that is a plus as well. 
I’d like to see the end result on those. I’m sure it would be pretty good overall. The color match is a bonus, for sure.

From the Just Dashes website, these are pics they posted. They did the vacuumed formed vinyl over the 73 Mustang fastback panels. IMO they look good in the pics. I have no idea what they charge for this but I'm sure it probably ain't cheap.

photo-2B1-772145.jpg

photo-2B3-774791.jpg

photo-2B4-776179.jpg

From the Just Dashes website, these are pics they posted. They did the vacuumed formed vinyl over the 73 Mustang fastback panels. IMO they look good in the pics. I have no idea what they charge for this but I'm sure it probably ain't cheap.

View attachment 55140

View attachment 55141

View attachment 55142
Can you tell if they incorporated the grain pattern? If so, this would be a nice option for those looking for the original look on these panels. Most existing panels today have probably lost a portion of the grain appearance over the years. Comes down to how original you are seeking. I would definitely consider if I had a nice set , uncut, but needing a refresh and was doing a complete restoration of a car. As mentioned, won’t be cheap, but you are unlikely to ever find a near NOS set today….

I just sent off for a quote to redo mine.

Attachments

• image_40041759.JPG
    image_40041759.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 15
  • image_123927839.JPG
    image_123927839.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
  • image_157482271.JPG
    image_157482271.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 16
  • image_1239278391.JPG
    image_1239278391.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 16
  • image_1239278392.JPG
    image_1239278392.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 16
"Our current lead time is approximately 4-5 months from the time we receive your parts.

Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
$450 Plastic Rear Panel (each)
$250-$300 Color Matching & Painting
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping"
That's the e-mail from the Van Nuys guys. I sent them a picture of the Scott Drake repos and how much they cost. I wished them the best of luck. I guess they don't need or want the work.

"Our current lead time is approximately 4-5 months from the time we receive your parts.

Here is an approximate cost of your restoration:
$450 Plastic Rear Panel (each)
$250-$300 Color Matching & Painting
*No extra charge for black
+ Shipping"
That's the e-mail from the Van Nuys guys. I sent them a picture of the Scott Drake repos and how much they cost. I wished them the best of luck. I guess they don't need or want the work.
Thanks for the update and the info. I guess they are very proud of their work. SHEESH!! 😲

Back