Tail lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
What do you guys think of these ideas? I have a coupe and think it looks fairly decent. It looks like the coupe in the pictures has Cougar tail lights and the fastback has Shelby tail lights.

4jlaw.jpg

xptzdl.gif

I also really like what is done with the rear bumper and exhaust tips in this picture.

33y05ew.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen the Shelby and Cougar taillights used in different years of Mustangs before. If you like it go for it! Just no Altezza lights please.

Both tail lights look ok to me, although I probably wouldn't do it myself. The exhaust tips are cool, but where would you put the license plate without detracting from something else?

Steve

I like the third pic but I would do an LED retrofit as well as getting rid of the diffusers. I also love the exhaust.

I found those pics last year, surfing the web.

I really like the idea of Shelby taillights (both styles were Cougar taillights) on a 71-73. I always wanted to do the swap on mine but I am not sure how well they will fit or how hard it is to install them.

That's what kept me from doing it so far.

The cougar lights look cool, must be easy enough as I have seen the seveal time before.

I wouldn't do it to mine but it depends on how the whole car will look at the end of the day

The third pic real isnt that cool but maybe it fit with the theme of the whole car

Yeah so I checked out what it would cost to do 1967 Shelby Tail Lights. At CJ Pony Parts, the panel from Dynacorn, the bezels, gaskets, sequential wiring harness and light buckets would cost about 800 bucks. A little steep for a minor detail, think I will stick with a new 71-73 tail light panel from Dynacorn and the original tail lights. Good point rvrtrash, I didnt think about the lisence plate at all, you would almost have to move the gas filler to the side of the car and put the lisence plate between the tail lights...pain in the neck!

HI

The coupe just looks better because of the paint job. Bad paint on the fastback with the shelby taillights.

I am also installing shelby taillights in my 73 Mustang. I am also thinking of using LEDS instead of the lamps.

AND arrow leds for the sequential side markers

and led rings in the speedometers etc.

edit: i bought everything from mustangunlimited. Good quality

In the winter i will post it.

Regards

Andreas

Call me crazy but the way they came out of the factory is the way they are worth money.

I am going to stick with the factory tail light set up and just add the LED boards to them. I would like to see someone do a billet style bezel for the lamp housing, I think it would look nice. Scott Drake makes them for 64-67's, so why not ours?

I also wouldnt mind seeing someone make a full billet grill assembly in anodized black, it could look sweet!

I am going to stick with the factory tail light set up and just add the LED boards to them. I would like to see someone do a billet style bezel for the lamp housing, I think it would look nice. Scott Drake makes them for 64-67's, so why not ours?

I also wouldnt mind seeing someone make a full billet grill assembly in anodized black, it could look sweet!
They are being made

http://www.mattsclassicbowties.com/contents/en-us/d1689.html

EXCELLENT find Tnfastbk, you are the man. I have had this idea and drew it up on a deployment about 4 years ago, just didnt have access to a CNC machine until now, and I have no idea how to program it!

ya i got there honeycomb pannel for the back of mine

look @ my garage i got a pic there

oh and resurrection i do also have the led sequental tail lights for mine and all 3 light pannels light up, so when its sequental its all 3 not 2

there from northwestmustang.com great ppl to deal with and instructions are easy but you do need to buy new rubber for the body to light seal when you do this

Back