Would you buy a 71-73 again?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach I
Just wondering, how many current 71-73 owners would actually "rebuy" a 71-73 again if they had the chance to buy their car again.  Myself I bought my car in the spring of '72 as a demo with 5,000 miles on it.  The price was right ($2995) but I wasn't wild about the options.  Would have preferred a 69 or 70 big block, 4-speed car, possibly Shelby if available.  However history speaks for itself, I bought my car and still have it, but if money and circumstances (can you say wife) allow, I would love to add a '69 shelby to my garage.  How about you?

Mac

Would have preferred a 69 or 70 big block, 4-speed car, possibly Shelby if available.  However history speaks for itself, I bought my car and still have it, but if money and circumstances (can you say wife) allow, I would love to add a '69 shelby to my garage.  How about you?
I would absolutely love to one one of the above. That being said I would buy another 71-73, but I don't think I would buy my particular car again. If I had discovered this site while I was looking I wouldn't have bought a '73 Grande with a 302. I would have probably held out for a '71 Mach 1 or at least a fastback with a 351C.  I bought my current ride without doing my due diligence (Mustang fever I think). I still love her but....

Mike

Very interesting question.  I bought my car in 1980.   I was looking for a project that my father and I could work on.  Didn't really work out that way - he turned out to be more of a checkbook kinda guy than someone who would grab a wrench and dig in.  That got it running and painted, which held up for a good 30 years when I launched the current restoration effort when the rear drivers door jamb would flex (a LOT) when I closed the door.  Along the way, I had moved on to a different class of cars - cars that like to turn vs cars that like to go straight.  Still with a Ford connections, however tenuous these days (Lotus).

So, would I buy another one?  I'd say not now, although I have really enjoyed the process of building my car into something different from what it was.  I would prefer to put that time and effort into something that handles a lot better.  Would I still have bought one back in 1980?  Sure. 

I'd buy it again.  

They have a funky distinct look to them.  Now that I have replaced / refurbished every bit of the driveline I enjoy driving it.  It is secure - yet  has enough horsepower to be sketchy.  I do not enjoy Concurs based restoration based work, so for me owning a highly desirable (high value) classic would be foolish.  For me I want modern radial tires, excellent brakes, excellent suspension and a heaping spoonful of horsepower in my cars.  

If I was to have something else it would probably be something like a 1970's BMW 2002, International Scout 80/800, Jeepster Commando, Datsun 510, BMW CSL...

For me, if I was to buy another 71-73 it would be a vert.

As my 72 coupe was bought by my dad when it was 6 months old, and I bought it when I turned 16, it is what I have.

That said, I am glad that I still have it after all these years.

But higher up the buy list would be either a 67-70 fastback or vert. I will stick my neck out and admit that I would prefer a small block v8 over a big block, any day...but that’s just me.  Another coupe in any year doesn’t do it for me.

Of course if it were a Shelby that would even be better.

While I am at it, I admit that I am not a big fan of the body lines of the 64-66’s, in any configuration.

Although the price of all these cars has gotten in the “too pricy to justify” range in the current environment, especially when I would have to pay an extra 25-30% buying it using my Canadian dollars.

cheers

Absolutely would buy again. Saw my first one when my parents picked up their 73 Country Squire at the dealership and my dad claims they basically had to drag me away from the Mach 1 that was on the showroom floor. Bought mine in 1986 and I will never part with it. If had the opportunity (and the money to spare) I would add a 71 Boss to the collection.

Definitely yes.  I looked and lurked and lingered for years, drooling when the "just right" combo of age, options and condition felt right until I finally pulled the trigger (and wrote the check).  Problem now is I don't think I'm going to want to give up the car, ever.

I would buy again for sure. I'd love one day to add a 72 vert with a 302/stick to the family just to have the 3 bodies and engines.I also love the 302's rumble (with the old firing order). Will need loads of magic to create space for that one tho :O

I'm like @Bentworker, I love them when they have the original spirit with some modern twists added to them.
My 73 Grandé restored with originality in mind would certainly not be as fun to look and drive as it is now for sure.

Have been buying only these for forty years… Tried a newer 2013 Boss 302 Laguna Seca a few years back, got bored fast and sold it…. I prefer the Big Block versions all day long, but I also love the Cleveland’s, so I have one of each. I doubt I will buy another as I have reached retirement age. I will just enjoy maintaining the 71 and 73 car’s I have now. But…, if a B1 dropped into my lap, I guess I would make some room for it))). I bought a 86 300ZX last Fall, it has been a handful to get road worthy to the level I like the a car to be, but finally achieved that and enjoy driving it as something different. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to have a fleet of Mach1s 69 70 72 73 75 V8 of course 03 and a 21. A 429 XR7 Cougar would be cool. 

I'm thinking 73 74 F100 short bed 2 wheel drive will be the next project. 

I have the 71 mach1 M code. Had it for like 12 years. Next year is paint year, following will be final re-assembly or assembly as it was purchased in pieces. Have had many Mustangs in the past 40 years, '65 '66 '67 '68 '70 this one '74 '79 '88 '93 then a decade of cougars. Just closed a deal on a 2013 convertible in grabber blue.

Don't think the '71 will ever get a new owner in my lifetime, there is excitement about the incoming 2013 305HP @30mpg out of a V6 backed by a 6 speed manual with all the current stuff already there and functional.

new (used) house we purchased has 1600 sq feet of garage to fill.

I would definitely buy my car again. It's a great cruising car and there seems to be less of them around compared to the 60's Mustangs. I wouldn't mind a 71/2/3 Mach 1 as well, but having just started restoring this one I can't see that happening any time soon.

Yes I would "re-buy" the 72 we have again. The smile it puts on my wife's face and the way she gets excited about the next item up for resto is priceless. Hell, I'm a long time bowtie guy and I'm considering a his and hers as I've recently heard of a 71 Mach 1 in need of rescue.....

This is my fifth 71-73 Mustang so it seems the answer would be yes. A S550 chassis and drivetrain with a 1969 Boss 302 body on it would be acceptable as well. Chuck

This is my Third 71-73, and gonna have 2 more in the stall at some point. Buying another 73 from my father, and he is leaving his other 73 to me when he can't drive it anymore. So for sure YES. Gonna be in my life for a long time! PS: Also had a 67 coupe for a little while in the 90's. 

Sadly no , I dont think there is a market for them locally where I am , the parts are a nightmare to find and I find it slow and does not like the twisties very much . I get more joy from my 71 MGB GT. 

I have owned four 73 convertibles over the many years, but never had more than two at any one time. I have always loved the body style, especially in a vert. Also owned a 1969 428CJ that I sold 8 years ago. Currently have a 1973 Vert H-code Cleveland and a 1970 Mach 1 M-code Cleveland. My wife has drawn the line and says two is my limit, but I haven't given up on changing her mind about that. I love having both of them. They are very different rides, so depending on my mood that day or the car show I am attending I'll one or the other out and just have fun with it. I have no plans on selling either.

I have always loved the 71-73 body style, particularly in a vert. So, needless to say, I have bought and sold and would buy again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back