Would you buy a 71-73 again?

Mac

A reply from member Shaheenk located in South Africa brought up a very good point.  We are spoiled as owners of our cars here in America.  There are plently of sources for parts available to us, both commerical and private.  Never really thought about how others living in other countries manage to maintain and keep their cars running.  

I know that there are several members of this site who live in other countries, it would be very interesting to hear about their experiences in the collector hobby in their country, popular brands / models and how they obtain parts and service there.

Mac

• Like 1

My car has a sentimenal value to me , my grand father bought it for my dad before my Granddad passed away , The car stood for many years and got quite rotted out, it was my dream to build it for my dad . I did that , he drove the car , he was happy , that made me happy . 

When I mentioned parts ,  I mean in South Africa, to give you an idea my car was stripped by another person who was meant to build it , I got it back minus the follwoing 

1. Interior panels 

2. PropShaft 

3. Gearbox 

4. Torque convertor 

5. Brake linkages

6. Power brake booster and Master Cyl 

7. Front bumper (on a 73) 

8. Windscreen 

9. Wiring Harness (yes the complete harness) 

10. Fuel Cap 

11. Most Trim , around the windows , doors , door locks , bonnet hinges and radiator as well as bonnet catch 

I had to rebuild 

1. Engine 

2. Gearbox 

3. Interior 

4. Harness and electrics 

5. Brakes 

6. Suspension 

Ford does not list the bolt sizes and threads for most of their builds , so I was buying bolts and nuts (Imperial) in a country which is Metric with a hope they would fit , why because I got the car back in pieces. 

Its easy in the US , pop onto one of the US stores and purchase a bolt kit cool $60 , here is $60 + $60 shipping + $20 customs = $140 ....for bolts and nuts. Everything was expensive to say the least , I think I spent over $5k in shipping alone. 

And becuase of the above , if something goes tits up , which it usually does , I need to wait 3 weeks doing a job which should be a weekend thing. I never got the 73 bumper , so had to mod a 72 Chrome to fit. To buy a 73 bumper is easy , $150- $250 , shipping it to SA , $800. 

Do I love the car, no , do I like it for what it represents , yes. Would I do it again , doubt it unless I am stripping and putting it back  myself.

Shaheenk,

It was nice of you to rebuild your Dad's Mustang for him.  I'm sure that he was pleased with your efforts more than the actual rebuilding of car itself.

I was amazed that the person you had mentioned that was suppose to rebuild the car actually ended up stripping it instead.  Have you considered taking him to court?

In your search for parts and rebuilding info (i.e. correct fasteners), is there any Mustang clubs close by you?  Have you searched this web site for other members close to you?  Look up the MCA (Mustang Club of America) on the web.  They have listings of regional groups all over the world, maybe one close to you.  They also list national judges by year of certification with contact info.  Again another source of info to consider.

If you Dad has already driven the car, sounds like you are "almost there" and should be congradulated on your efforts!!

Mac

18 hours ago, Mac said:

Shaheenk,

It was nice of you to rebuild your Dad's Mustang for him.  I'm sure that he was pleased with your efforts more than the actual rebuilding of car itself.

I was amazed that the person you had mentioned that was suppose to rebuild the car actually ended up stripping it instead.  Have you considered taking him to court?

In your search for parts and rebuilding info (i.e. correct fasteners), is there any Mustang clubs close by you?  Have you searched this web site for other members close to you?  Look up the MCA (Mustang Club of America) on the web.  They have listings of regional groups all over the world, maybe one close to you.  They also list national judges by year of certification with contact info.  Again another source of info to consider.

If you Dad has already driven the car, sounds like you are "almost there" and should be congradulated on your efforts!!

Mac

Hi Mac

The car is completed, this was my first "american" build , I am more setup for european and Japanese cars as we have alot more of them here. The market in SA is quite different to the US where people are willing to impart knowledge , this forum has been a great source of help for me, I only found it later in my build but the help was immense. 

The car was not built as a restoration so a number of items were changed , modded or even dropped off. The final bit of the puzzle was done yetserday when I finally got the brakes sorted out and now it does not flat spot the rears . There is still a rattle over bumps which sounds liek transmission or exhaust or rear suspension, I will need to check it when I have time . For now it starts and drives. 

The person who stripped the car owes me money , he is unemployed and i know I will never see anything from it . Life goes on and we learn lessosn.

Well, to be frank, I didn't really want a Mustang in the first place. I wanted a 68-69 LeMans convertible. As an effort to get my ex to at least tolerate my car addiction we went in search of a Mustang since she claimed to like them. FYI, previously I had a pro street 64 GTO that she HATED!!!! and honestly I got very tired of. If I hadn't followed the "trend" and cut it up I'd probably still have it.  After a bit of a search I found the 73 and started getting things straightened out and drivable.  Guess what... she didn't like the Mustang either. Over the years I've made the changes that transformed the car into what I wanted and like. Would I buy it again, most likely not, but at this point I love it and it's not going anywhere. It is my most comfortable pair of old shoes. When I go out for a ride, I'm in my happy place. The plans I have for continued upgrades I would plan on for whatever car I had. Besides I'm getting too old to plan and build another car... I've been with this one for 23 years now. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Would I buy my current 1971 Mach 1, J Code, Ram Air, 429 SCJ, 4.11.1, again?

I bought it completely disassembled, just a mere shell, with a 1000 parts, including motor, tranny, driverline, stored in a container. The Mach 1 had been off the road since 1975. The original owner was killed. It took me a few years to rebuild everything and reassemble the car and then paint it. Slow process. I've restored numerous 71-72 Mach 1's (H, Q, R, M, J Codes) over the last 25 years, but this one was the biggest challenge. Buy it again? Yes, indeed. Wish it had AC. Florida heat cab be brutal.

• Like 1

Tim: Restoring 71-73 Ponies, Restoring People

139A1893.jpg