1972 AC car blower motor replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mach 1 351 ram air
[url=https://ibb.co/R9rNbJs][img]https://i.ibb.co/376vdPj/DSC06636.jpg[/img][/url]
 My heater blower motor is really noisy.  I suppose I need to replace it.

The car had water inside for years from a leaky cowl, moist environment.  Affected the motor?

When I restored the interior and rebuilt all the plenum boxes I probably just hit the squirrel fan with 12V and said, yup, it works.

So, has anyone changed one out lately?

Looks like it will come right out of the side of the plenum.  The gas pedal assembly looks like it needs to come out.

There needs to be room for the squirrel cage to come out the side,  and with out the gas pedal, it seems clear until the steering column.

I have plenty of pictures, but it was a couple years ago that the interior was reassembled.

Could it be this simple or am I missing something?

Thought I'd ask if anyone has replaced the motor leaving all the rest of the bits in the car?

Thanks

I did this recently.  Yes, you can remove it from the drivers side.  The 3 bolts are a contortionist job, but the flange on the motor has a flat side designed to clear for easy removal.  You have a connector on the orange power wire then a ring terminal with the ground screwed to dash ground.

I removed my console and shifter handle so I could snake in from the passengers side and slide in under the steering wheel.  Yep, 54 and 200 lbs and I did it.

kcmash

Very doable. I did it all from the driver's side without removing the console. I suggest you remove the driver's seat so it is easier. You will have to do some of the work by feel since it is hard to look up there but your hands will get there. The gas pedal gets a bit on the way so if you disconnect it from the carb and hold it to the floor it will give you some space for your head so you can look up the dash. You will have the 3 bolts as mentioned plus the wiring connections.

You might try F type transmission fluid, one can place in the blower motor a small amount by way of the vent on the top of the fan blower housing. I experimented with many different lubricants for a hideous noise coming out of what I thought was a bad bearing, 1/4 cup was an immediate cure and that was 2 years ago (I drive my 73 every day). I found a small hand pump from O'Reilly's (about $18) with using small tubing that I snaked into the vent opening, The air smelled of transmission fluid for only a few days, and then away, but the blower has remained so quiet that it sounds new. Nothing to lose by trying this first.

Heater only motors are a plenty online. These are new repros and they work great. As stated on previous posts, it is much easier to remove the drivers seat so you can lie flat to access the motor. Also disconnect the gas pedal by removing the two nuts (uses 1/2 inch socket) that hold the gas pedal pivot point to the firewall. You don't have to disconnect from the carb. Once it is free from the firewall, just move it out of the way and the motor will come right out.

Back