3" tailpipes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73mach429

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 429 powered Mustang
1994 IDI Turbo F-250
2010 6.4 Powerstroke F-350
2010 RZR S (does this count?) lol
I am putting exhaust on my 73 mach 1 with a 429 cj, the engine has a street/strip cam, offenhauser aluminum intake, 1 7/8 " primary headers into 3.5" collectors with 3" reducers. I am not sure if it is necessary to go 3" or if 2.5" would be large enough. I am looking for mandrel bent tailpipes in 3" if possible but would maybe settle for 2.5, if anyone has gotten a set and could point me in the right direction that would be great. I am trying to avoid building my own with 90's and other misc bends. Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link, looks like a good way to go 2 1/2", might be easier to do 2 1/2" rather than 3".[/align]

I have a similar build in my '73 Grande, i.e., 472 with the apparent same headers that you have - - Hooker Super Competitions.

I went with 2.5" pipes all the way back (to include inlets and outlets on the mufflers).

I am EXTREMELY pleased with the result.

Hope this helps.

BT

hey cobra3073 what mufflers did you use and did you use the flowmaster tailpipes?

I used the Flowmaster Delta 40s. Took it to a GREAT independent-owned muffler shop here in Memphis where they supplied the head and tail pipes.

They had an "ARTIST" on staff who did the bending. He did an AWESOME job. I plan on posting up pictures when I get the car back from the paint shop.

BT

sounds good i look forward to seeing pictures

Back