H78-14 space saver spare

Doug, the tire size you listed would indicate a fit for a larger car than Mustangs, mid-size and small vehicles used. The sizes most common to the mustangs were 7.35 x 14, 7.75 x 14, and F78-14. Through out the '70s, Ford used many of these space saver tires in the Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury lines until the donut spare became the new small spare tire in the 80s.
 These space saver spares were standard on some models, optional on others, and included with specific vehicle configurations, so way too many possibilities to guess. See if you can find a stamped letter(s) by the valve stem and also check the bolt circle to verify if a 5 x 4.5 or a 5 on 5 bolt circle. With that info, I can help you can make a more positive ID. :classic_smile:

Edited by secluff

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Thanks Steve, I checked the wheel and here is what I found.  5 x 4.5 bolt circle, 2.75 center hole, stampings near valve stem JL 3, stampings between bolt holes, the Ford script in an oval and W 9 18 or ? 6 M depending on which way is up, 2 purple paint daubs on the rim on the opposite side of the wheel.  7 1/4" tread width.  

Doug

Doug,
The JL code is a rim used for the space saver in the mid-size line such as Torino, LTD II, T-Bird, Montego, and Cougar through '79. The tire used for those applications is H78 x 14" like on the rim you have. This rim has been around with different part numbers, code IDs, width sizes, and ratings since first used in the '68 Mustang. This rim would fit the Mustang, but the H-78 size is a bit larger than the F-78 size specified by Ford.
The JL rim is 14 x 5 1/2" with the width measured where the bead of the tire sets inside the rim lip. The date code on these rims is first position-year, second-wheel manufacturer, third-month. The six would indicate 1976, and M would be Motorwheel Corp. For the month, you need to recheck for another letter. Ford occasionally used a 24-month calendar (leaving out the I and O) for the month codes.
The problem here is that the rim is compatible with a Mustang, but the tire is too large for a Concours level Mustang. Spacer Saver tire size is something that MCA (Mustang Club of America) would check at a judged class show. These tires, regardless of size, are also not safe to be used for any actual spare tire duty. I know some Dodge, Plymouth, and AMC vehicles also used the F-78 x 14" space saver size and struggle to find show-worthy tires. To my knowledge, no F or H78 x 14" space-saver tire is being reproduced at this time. Your tire would work for someone with a Mustang if they wanted a space saver regardless of tire size. If you get no hits here, I would try the 68-79 Fairlane-Torino site.

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!