What is the right black out hood paint?

I thought I saw a thread on this subject but cant find it now.  Oh Well, so...............what is the correct shade and sheen of black for the blackout hood? I wanna get it painted right the first time. I also assume the rear deck spoiler is the same code paint? 

Thank you 

Good question.  I read various articles on what  was the original from the factory to the closet you could come to it.  The attach link has info on the paint and the areas and  dimensions for everything.  Paint Info (50megs.com)  I'm for sure some of the others on here will have info also as what  to use.

I used Sem Hot Rod Black HR010 Kit - it is a 1 Quart kit which is enough to do all the blackout on the car.  

• Like 1

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

28 minutes ago, Kilgon said:

Good question.  I read various articles on what  was the original from the factory to the closet you could come to it.  The attach link has info on the paint and the areas and  dimensions for everything.  Paint Info (50megs.com)  I'm for sure some of the others on here will have info also as what  to use.

I used Sem Hot Rod Black HR010 Kit - it is a 1 Quart kit which is enough to do all the blackout on the car.  

+1 on The Sem hot rod black.   I used it and its seems to be really nice paint.  

• Like 1

Kevin
1971 Mach 1

408C Stroker - C4 w/3,000 stall - 8.8" Rear w/3.73's - Disc brakes all way around.

6 hours ago, turtle5353 said:

+1 on The Sem hot rod black.   I used it and its seems to be really nice paint.  

That's what I used on mine too. It's standing up really well after 7 years now. There is (or was) a Hot-Rod clear coat for it as well. I did not use it, but I think it would have been beneficial except for the added thickness at the hood edges.

Here's the nitty-gritty, i.e. factory dimensions.

https://7173mustangs.com/forums/topic/32908-measurments-for-hood-black-out/?do=findComment&comment=338133

Edited by Stanglover
added link.
  • Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!

Thanks Guys, appreciated!! 

Stanglover.........David sent me the measurements some time ago and the painter does have those. Thanks  to both of you! 

Rod and Sally's mustang

I did the rocker panels the same time as the hood'  I used SEM trim black spray bomb on the spoiler. Did tail lights and rear trim in trim black. I would say the trim black sheen is a little more flat.

IMG_2019.JPG

IMG_1882.JPG

IMG_1805.JPG

IMG_1811.JPG

Edited by mach71351c
  • Like 1
  • Great post!  Let me buy you a beer (or coffee!) 1

- Mike

8 hours ago, machattack said:

So........... is this also the right color and sheen for the rocker panels and rear spoiler?  :classic_rolleyes:  so many questions.

Thanks

Yes. If you do one part, do it all, but be mindful of how much you use. 1 quart will do it all if not wasted. If you have to go buy another kit it gets expensive plus when mixed, the unused portion will be junk.

Edited by Stanglover
  • Like 1

Geoff.

I learn something new every day!