Convertible rear window - glass or plastic?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dark Horse

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 351 CJ w/ auto Q code convertible.
1971 Chevelle SS 454 4 speed
My project car came with a Kee convertible top still in the box. It also came with the matching rear window in plastic.

I'm pretty sure mustangs originally came with a glass rear window. In thinking about maybe buying the glass window but kinda wanted to get a feel of what others might think of glass versus plastic. 

I know the quality of the plastic rear windows (also called rear curtains) has improved over the years, but they can still yellow and scratch over time. Ford had an industry first with the folding rear glass on the 67-70 Mustangs. Then in '71, Ford released a new semi-flexible (their description) single-piece tempered glass that would flex when lowered. And like the folding glass version, the top could be lowered without unzipping the glass. I prefer the glass window for the OE look. Good luck on either way you decide to go!

Glass is the way to go, IMO. That's all I've had in mine for 44 years.  Replaced the top twice in that time and went with new glass window both times.  The glass lasts, but the sailcloth, stitching, and bonding deteriorates.  If you keep your car garaged, the plastic would last quite a while. You would still have to deal with scratches and discoloration, though.

I have one of each. Go with glass. 

Back