Refinishing Interior Quarter / Questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
1973 Vert

My interior quarters were cut up by a PO (huge speaker holes) and look terrible. I purchased some decent quality used panels today from NE Performance Mustang.

The panels are in good shape, but appear to be originally blue plastic, then painted black. I do want them black, but some of the paint is peeling and they need to be refinished.

Any advice for stripping the old paint, cleaning and adhering new paint? I know I could sand, but that will ruin the grain. While not a show car, I'd like to keep some originality when feasible.

Thoughts?

I'm going to have to check out NE Performance Mustang.  I'm not far away from there, but had no idea they existed.

Regarding your question, I'd probably test a small area with paint stripper to make sure it won't damage the plastic.  You could probably also get the paint off with a pressure washer.  Either way, be careful.  The plastic finish is probably pretty brittle after all these years.

As far as new paint, there are some plastic paints out there you can use.  But it might be better to use a dye.

Perfect, I'll try some power washing and light scrubbing and see how it looks.

Yah, the place is in Milford, NH. There isn't a showroom to walk around, just a large warehouse with tons of parts (used and new). Best to call ahead of time to find that if they have what you need.

The owner's name is Craig. Really nice guy. I met him at the swap meet in Epping yesterday. If you haven't gone, you definitely should go. It's the last Sunday of every month. I think the last show of the year is November.

Perfect, I'll try some power washing and light scrubbing and see how it looks.

Yah, the place is in Milford, NH. There isn't a showroom to walk around, just a large warehouse with tons of parts (used and new). Best to call ahead of time to find that if they have what you need.

The owner's name is Craig. Really nice guy. I met him at the swap meet in Epping yesterday. If you haven't gone, you definitely should go. It's the last Sunday of every month. I think the last show of the year is November.
I am literally non-existent on the scene, but I might have to check it out one of these days.  Most of my free time gets sucked up by my kids with sports, etc.

I have used EZ OFF oven cleaner for lots of different plastics to remove paint. Try on back side to test first.

The good EZ OFF is the HD version with lye.  Read the contents closely to find it.

Back