HEEEEELP

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

da55

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Fastback 351 V8
Hey there,

Mustang is not starting again, for the second time since i bought it. Im thinking its mostly related to all the outdated electrical components of this machine. Its old and its a mess of wires. I started wondering what this thing is. Anyone have a clue what this is for? (Grey box that says SELECT)

PXL_20210708_165807722.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, that's a mess. As Don noted, that's your voltage regulator and it's originally mounted below the starter solenoid. 

You also didn't tell us what it is, or isn't doing. 

IMO, you should spend some quality time cleaning up your wiring. Reproduction alternator harnesses are about $40. Re-crimp the wires with new terminal ends and adhesive heat shrink. If you don't dive in and make it right, you'll be chasing electrical problems forever. 

WIRING.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Firstly ,....If a 351 Cleveland - get a 880 Cold Cranking (CCA) Amp battery 

second -- the cables to starter motor notoriously break down 

Then the start relay and key switch can be problematical ...   I wish I was with you with my multi meter  :classic_unsure:

Bought a 67 camero when I was a kid. PO was an electrician and couldn't figure out this problem. He sold it to me cheep cause one minute it would start,the next it wouldn't  problem was good ground to the motor, bad ground to the body. A strap from the neg to the fender fixed it right up. PO said he had it in the shop 5 times with no luck. Nobody thought to check the ignition switch ground. I still have the car.

Is this your wedding ring on the fender?
Yes, it is. I took it off because I got brake cleaner under it and that burns like crazy. Spent two days looking for it before I remembered where it was...   :whistling:

To reiterate MustangSally's post, grounds, grounds and grounds. I learned to be fastidious with my grounds after some serious frustration in one vehicle. 

Back