Front cross member roached

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DTRoss

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
Hello all.while doing a front disc upgrade i found my front cross member to look like swiss cheese..its a 73 and i cant find any replacement parts.any advise for me would be great ty..will post pics soon

Screenshot_20211001-215529_Messages.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
As others have noted, that crossmember is available.  It is a pain to remove and replace, with 10 spot welds and about an inch of weld on each side.  It would be easier to replace if the core support is out, but definitely doable even if it isn't.  The core support and engine crossmember will keep the frame rails in perfect position, and it just slips up, into position and can be clamped in, and then have a field day welding all those overhead spot welds. 

Good luck!!!   

Remember this is structural welding on the frame of your car.  If you don’t have welding experience, you could have poor implications in the future.

If you have a good hot welder and experience, you can do it.  Much better on a lift or with the engine out.

kcmash

Yep, I had mine replaced, but left it to a professional.

That damage appears to be on the under engine crossmember between shock towers and lower control arms. I don't believe it is reproduced as that front strut crossmember mentioned above. I might have a good one in a parts car but it will be a pain in the butt replace whole unit. You would be better off patching yours if possible or sectioning it with another...

mine also needs replacing as it had a rust hole it it when I bought it.  I could have lived with that but I had a accident where it slipped off of a jack onto a couple jack stands and damaged it some more.  I have a replacement piece ready to go, just need to find a shop that will do it.  I have been waiting on one shop who will do it but still not spot open or me. 

The pic is of the #2 crossmember, the one under the engine - not the #1 or strut rod crossmember as linked. 

The holes look like they were cut with a torch. I also don't see any rust or rot on the lower section, and the poster is from Nevada. If the crossmember isn't rust damaged, a couple patches can be welded in and ground flush with not much work.

If that is rust, and if it can't be patched, the only remedy is to get one from a parts car as they are not reproduced. 

The pic is of the #2 crossmember, the one under the engine - not the #1 or strut rod crossmember as linked. 

The holes look like they were cut with a torch. I also don't see any rust or rot on the lower section, and the poster is from Nevada. If the crossmember isn't rust damaged, a couple patches can be welded in and ground flush with not much work.

If that is rust, and if it can't be patched, the only remedy is to get one from a parts car as they are not reproduced. 
You are right. That's the engine one. I got confused thinking it was the strut x-member.

Back