Problems installing Mach 1 rear decal on trunklid

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
1971 Mustang Mach I
1972 Mexican GT-351
1971 Mustang Convertible
1988 Bronco II
1970 Torino 4 door
I tried installing a Ford licensed decal but it does not quite follow the trunklid body lines. This is the decal that is the full width of the trunk lid and continues onto the quarter extensions. It is like there needs to be a slight curvature to the decal but is it cut straight. The bottom thin strip is too long. Trying to tweak it simply did not work and the decal was trashed. Is there a trick to installing this decal? 

I tried installing a Ford licensed decal but it does not quite follow the trunklid body lines. This is the decal that is the full width of the trunk lid and continues onto the quarter extensions. It is like there needs to be a slight curvature to the decal but is it cut straight. The bottom thin strip is too long. Trying to tweak it simply did not work and the decal was trashed. Is there a trick to installing this decal? 
I cut the the decal in half at the center right below the trunk lock.  It will allow for you to curve the stripe from the center out on each side.  Overlay the  center ends a little and proceed to put the decal on. If needed you can take a sharp razor blade and trimmed the  edges so they meet flush.  Can't tell they were cut unless you really look for it.   

20200623_154916_resized.jpg

Trunk (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I cut the the decal in half at the center right below the trunk lock.  It will allow for you to curve the stripe from the center out on each side.  Overlay the  center ends a little and proceed to put the decal on. If needed you can take a sharp razor blade and trimmed the  edges so they meet flush.  Can't tell they were cut unless you really look for it.   

View attachment 55409

View attachment 55410
Thx much! I should have asked first.  So much for assuming they make them correctly.

I used one from Phoenix graphics and it went on fine.  ( I put the NOS one on crooked, so I had to replace the deck lid stripe)

Kcmash

Back