71 Wire routing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey Jerry

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am working on my 71 Boss which has been apart too long. Can someone answer if the wiring from the outside of the radiator runs between the battery support before going upward to solenoid and voltage regulator. 

Hey Jerry,

Are you using the original wiring harness?  if you are, there is usually few options.  Running the wire exactly how it was coming from the factory is really not necessary.  The only restriction is running it in a fashion that would minimize damage to due moving parts or heat.  I ran new wiring to electric fans right under or next to the battery tray using plenty of zip ties to keep the bundle of wire together.  If you run short you can always butt splice additional wire to complete your wire run.

Hi Bobby, Thanks for replying. I am trying to route the wire as done at the factory. I do believe this group of wires routes under and in-between the battery tray bracing. Bobby does your car have the battery brace to the fender apron? If so, is this apron insert plastic?

I do not believe that my car has the brace you are referring to.  My Mustang had a full body restoration done back in the early 2000s.  I have wiring running next to and underneath the battery tray.  The battery tray is steel.  I had to clean corrosion from the tray as the previous owner didn't keep up with this car and the battery leaked all over the place.  I don't know if what I said helps.  If you are reinstalling the factory wiring, make sure you inspect the wires carefully for deteriorated insulation and damage.  Also note that previous owners all fancy themselves as wiring experts and actually do more harm than good when making mods or repairs.  My wiring was so old and corroded plus ill advised mods that caused shorts and nonfuctioning brake lights and turn signal lights.  It was a nightmare and I ended up replacing all the wiring throughout the whole car.  It is near impossible to actually install wiring exactly as factory......especially if you've had many previous owners that did not document what they've done.  There are multiple wiring schematics listed on line but they are poor quality and may not actually represent what you have in your mustang.  

Thanks, Bobby! I believe you are correct but if I correct myself, I  would be to say the factory harness runs on the inside of the lower battery brace. Talking wiring is there any replacement plugs  with pigtails that push on the solenoid? 

Thanks guys, Midlife, does anyone reproduce these leads in various colored ends?

No reproductions.  I have scavenged them from unrefurbishable harnesses, but I am running extremely low.

Back