how to drill holes to install a new(to me) OEM long console?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Gold Glow Mustang Convertible, 302 2V C4
No holes currently exist.  I need to locate the console properly to the dash and to the floor auto shifter.  I am also putting in a new carpet.  I have the correct screws.  How do I locate the spots on the trans tunnel to drill the starter holes so that it will work after the carpet is down? Anyone done this?  Car is a 1973 convertible. Thanks. 

I've got a console that I'm gonna paint and assemble soon. I would love to hear suggestions on Installation too. My new carpet is already in the car. 

Center the console on the shifter and get it positioned so it sits level. Use a toothpick with a contrasting paint color and mark through the screw holes the locations on the carpet. Use a soldering iron or a nail heated with a torch and melt the holes through the carpet. Now you can either drill or punch the pre-holes for the screws. 

Not exactly what you are looking for, but should give you some positioning help/guidelines.

These pictures are PRIOR to consul removal (on a factory consul car) when I replaced the carpet.

I had an extremely hard time refinding (more hours than I am willing to admit on this forum) the existing screw holes from the top side, and used turkey skewers to poke through the mass backed carpet.

I eventually found 6 of the 8 holes from inside the car....and eventually put the car up on a lift in an attempt to find the front 2 screw hole locations from the underside...which I still haven’t found as of yet, as the  transmission was blocking my view.

Given you are drilling holes, it should be way easier....but from what I’m told the soldering gun/iron is highly recommended assuming you installed loop carpet, as if you get a carpet loop/strand wrapped on the screw, you will end up with a run pulling on your carpet.

cheers

18E3D7A7-1CC9-4C76-BDFF-D8D4B851BE35.jpeg

CCE8CFCE-6EF9-4F54-AAE6-88C61CC8A0BF.jpeg

The front holes are under the transmission mount supports, you can't see them from under the car, I sharpened some coat hangar wire and heated it up and poked it through from the bottom to locate the holes through the new carpet, The front 2, I installed the first six screws loosely, then used a very fine wire through the console holes to find the front screw holes, and carefully ran a heated wire through the carpet to get the screws in without spooling up the carpet. It's tricky, but do-able. Good luck!! 

Some additional photos that may help with your hole locations (for my coupe) without consul or carpet in...if you want more let me know....as I have a bunch of diff angles.  Although in some Picts the hole locations are kinda hard to see.  I carved out the screw holes when I installed the sound deadener (after cleaning up the surface rust).

6A6AC880-F795-4E69-AACB-3523D914540C.jpeg

14D849E2-F2CA-4165-A614-42B9599DBAFB.jpeg

Can you place the console over the tunnel w/o carpet and mark the holes, then drill the holes, install the carpet, burn the holes through the carpet by placing the console in the same location for which you will have to take reference measurements and then pray that all will align. There could be a slight shift when the console is located with and without carpet so take this into consideration, maybe adding some spacers when fitting the console w/o carpet. If there is a shift it should only be along the width of the car.

To be honest, I haven’t needed to do it since I already had the screw holes already on my car....hopefully someone else could chime in....but finding those darn holes through the carpet was an exercise in frustration ( maybe it’s just me)

in theory it would work, but I would want to add a cushion for the carpet and insulation that you are using, as that extra thickness may change the height and mess with the alignment. ( I can say that the new carpet is definitely thicker than the matted down 45 year old original carpet)

I used the “mass backed” carpet from ACC which fit the contours of the floor like a glove.

To find some of the holes, I eventually peeled back the carpet, wedged my hand underneath, found the hole with a finger, and then used a turkey skewer to get it in the hole (with a few puncture wounds in my fingernails).

it was a process...but eventually got it for 6 of the 8 holes.

full disclosure: I still need to use a soldering iron to burn a hole in the carpet and screw in the consul.

I still have 6 turkey skewers locating the screw holes...

I punched holes through the under carpet insulation as it was installed matching the holes in the trans tunnel. It didn't matter if the holes were a bit big as long as the screw holes were visible. Then put short screws in each hole sticking out past the underlay.

When the new carpet is properly positioned and fitted, these short screws can be felt under the carpet and a hole burned through on top of the screw heads with a soldering iron. Definitely do not use a drill as this will certainly pull threads and ruin the carpet. I left the drilling of the console holes last as you may need to move the carpet around as it's fitted under the dash, door sills, etc.

This may also help with locating the spot to drill the holes in the console.

I gotta confess... the console in my car has just been in there sitting loose for over 20 years. It was loose when I got the car.  It's just never been high on the todo list.    🤣
That's funny, mine is the same way.  I just didn't want to be the first to admit it! 

That's funny, mine is the same way.  I just didn't want to be the first to admit it! 
Ok, since we are all confessing, I must say that when I installed my console I missed half of the floor holes and still some of the screws are just screwed into the carpet. :whistling: The consoles is tight in place, though.

So I can just let console sit there and not screw it down! Awesome one less thing to do!

I predrilled the holes before I installed the carpet. My plan is to send a poker up from the bottom and chase back down with the point a soldering iron.   

IMG_2644.JPG

I put the console where it fit the shifter well , with painters tape under the screw holes in the console and marked each one with a sharpie.

from there I removed the console and heated a piece of 3/16'' brake tubing with no flare red hot and simply melted thru the carpet.

Stinky and hard on the eyes, but very effective, just drilled my holes from there, I could actually see where the screws needed to go.

That's all I am  willing to confess to today. 

Remember doing this years ago.  Bought a full console then discovered my Mustang

never had one.  Once we positioned the console on the carpet we used a trephine to 

cut a hole in the carpet and a drill guide to position the drill.  The problem is to cut a hole 

through the carpet so it does not get wrapped in the drill bit.  I think we used a tool for

cutting holes in a cork.  It is easy, once you get positioned just remove the carpet behind

hole and pop in a screw 

Back