Chin Spoiler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback
351 4V
Don't laugh, but I read an article in Mustang Monthly a few years ago while I was in Afghanistan, and they were discussing high speed open road runs (guess it's popular out in AZ/CA, wouldn't know). The author was talking about how the chin spoiler on his 70 'Stang was actually quite useful in helping stabilize the car at over 120 mph, was wondering if anybody had similar experiences with our body styles, and if so, which spoiler do you recommend? (By that I mean, fiberglass vs plastic, how did you add extra bolts to secure it better, etc.)

Last edited by a moderator:
My subjective opinion is that they do help at high speed. Long ago when I was young and dumb, I used to road race and while I have no actual proof or numbers to back it up, it did feel like the car would settle a little closer to the road around the 110-120 mark. I had the factory "plastic" spoiler with normal mounting hardware, and the factory rear spoiler. I also had the front end lowered 1" and the rear end 1/2".

Steve

I'm definately adding the chin spoiler and decklid spoiler, and I also want to lower it like rvrtrash's (1" front, 1/2" rear). No particular reason for doing this other than it looks good, and I like going fast on the twisties.

Mine will have both as well.

I'd never use 'glass on the chin, though. It would be sandblasted and curb shot in no time flat. Fiberglass (gelcoat) is too brittle for that application IMO.

I have the 1" lowering coils in the front and the rear 1/2" drop as well as the plastic front spoiler and decklid spoiler on my coupe. I replaced all the factory suspension bushings with energy suspension poly bushings and put in new shocks. I think the full combo helped for a nice comfortable ride. The only thing is that my front spoiler rubbed on every driveway and intersection in the road, so I am glad I didnt select to install a fiberglass one. Didnt spend a lot of time at 120mph, but when I was there it was nice!

Nice low front stance.

2ljrmdv.jpg

Good rear stance.

fnwbnp.jpg

Nice clean balance front and back without the "lowrider" look. As you can see this picture doesnt have the front spoiler installed at the time.

5vdpwk.jpg

I have the 1" lowering coils in the front and the rear 1/2" drop as well as the plastic front spoiler and decklid spoiler on my coupe. I replaced all the factory suspension bushings with energy suspension poly bushings and put in new shocks. I think the full combo helped for a nice comfortable ride. The only thing is that my front spoiler rubbed on every driveway and intersection in the road, so I am glad I didnt select to install a fiberglass one. Didnt spend a lot of time at 120mph, but when I was there it was nice!

Nice low front stance.

2ljrmdv.jpg

Good rear stance.

fnwbnp.jpg

Nice clean balance front and back without the "lowrider" look. As you can see this picture doesnt have the front spoiler installed at the time.

5vdpwk.jpg
What size tires are you running? By the way nice stance.

The tires are nothing significant, i think they are pep boys brand 225/50 in a 15". When I decide on what I go with next they will get swapped. Basically they were just put on the car so it would pass inspection, cheap tires though. Would eventually like to run 255/35 front and 295/35 rear or so in 17", but afraid it will raise the car quite a bit. My uncle had some custom magnum 500's made for his GTX that are sick and hold quite an impressive tire size on the rear, check em out.

33pf039.jpg

I'm definately adding the chin spoiler and decklid spoiler, and I also want to lower it like rvrtrash's (1" front, 1/2" rear). No particular reason for doing this other than it looks good, and I like going fast on the twisties.
Be careful. If you´re gonna use 17 or 18 inch rims like on the car in your signature, the stance will look higher than with stock wheels due to sidewall aspect ratio.

I lowered mine a little over 1 inch in the rear and almost 2 1/2 up front to get the right stance with the 18s.

Back to topic: I think the chin spoiler is a must even if for looks only.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also like the look of the front spoiler. Mine is made by a company called California Pony Cars and it fit perfectly and is well made. I think OMS and others stock this item. Chuck

Back