‘71 Trunk Letter Spacing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CLT73C

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the spacing on the block letters that go across the trunk that spell out “M U S T A N G”?  How far from the center of one letter to the center of the next?  Knowing that, I can wheel off the “T” in the center.  Alternatively, how far from the center of the “M” to the center of the “T”?

Thanks

I believe the “T” is just off centre to the right ever so slightly… My research anyway…

4214BCC8-8883-4099-9A9F-D8F019A04808.jpeg

Remember these were installed on a moving assembly line, so variations will exist. I'm sure that Ford intended the "T" to be centered on the lock opening.
I disagree on the centring. I have researched many original 71 model year car’s on this specific aspect. Can you provide some backup to that statement? I have numerous photos of original applications showing the slight off centred (to the trunk lock) application. Again, do as one pleases, these cars are becoming quite watered down as the years go by…

My car doesn't have the lettering, so I'm making assumptions (my apologies). I'm assuming that the "M" is wider than most of the other letters and I'm assuming that some form of kerning was used, especially between the "T" and "A", and maybe between the "A" and "N". If kerning was not used the spacing would have made 'MUST' look like one word and 'ANG' like another. The effects of a wider M and kerning would push the T to the right of center, again assuming that the outer edges of the M and G were evenly spaced from the edges of the trunk lid.

It's strange the Assembly Manual didn't address this. They must have had a template they used on the assembly line, they didn't have the time to eyeball or measure the letter spacing horizontally or vertically.

Best is place the extreme M and G, then temp tape the others and judge/move them by feeling to obtain some nicely balanced spacing
The eye decides.. no ruler here

Also I won't be surprised the G is bits higher as most glyphs like a Q or O are having extra size so they do not appear visually smaller.
That to say, as these are capitals, align them from the center vs base otherwise the G would be too high

The pictures a few posts above are of my 71'  I know the history of the car since new and know that the rear was never hit or repainted - so that shows what rolled off the line.  It was the first 71' to hit the local Ford dealer.  Unfortunately  I never took any measurements showing vertical height, only horizontal spacing.

Best is place the extreme M and G, then temp tape the others and judge/move them by feeling to obtain some nicely balanced spacing
The eye decides.. no ruler here

Also I won't be surprised the G is bits higher as most glyphs like a Q or O are having extra size so they do not appear visually smaller.
That to say, as these are capitals, align them from the center vs base otherwise the G would be too high
As I recall when I did mine, I did something similar to what you state. As I was determined to maintain the slightly off centred T, I did place the two outer letters at the approx locations and then worked on the distances for the U and S in between the M and T as well as the A and N in between T and G to finalize the spacing. 

i thank you for posting these photos. they are very helpful. only issue now is maybe how far up from the bottom. from bottom edge of trunk to bottom edge of letters. 1/2" or 3/4" ? again..... very awesome that you posted these photos. thank you again.
I never took any pics measuring up from the bottom, and the trunk lid is likely a washing machine or Kia hood by now.

Back