mustang illustrated facts and specifications manual

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72HCODE

"My World is Fire and Blood"
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1.
well here is a nice book full of facts and specs for our cars i didn't know about till the power of the internet showed me.

71fordmustfacts.jpg

i had ordered the 72 book and after reading it decided to get the 71 book also. It has a lot of info in it, and it confirmed my conclusion that early 72s are pretty much 71 cars since most of the unique 72 parts didn't get on the line until December 71.

my car was built August 71 so according to the book i missed out on some stuff.

did you know for later 72 cars ford moved the driver's seat pan back 1" to try and address complaints about leg room.

good book with lots of extra info on options too.

a good addition to your library.

they are about 13$ a book and you can find them on amazon

mustang Illustrated facts and specifications manual.

Looks cool! I may have to pick up a set!

Thanks for the tip. I'm ordering one right now.

Doc

Aha! I searched for it on Amazon and this is what appeared:

51SnEOHVH4L__SS500_.jpg

Lucky me, there was only one left and I bought it. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
definatly need to get one of those. where can we get them?
I just went to Amazon.com and entered "mustang Illustrated facts and specifications manual" from 72HCode's post, and that's what popped up.

Doc
awesome thanks

Actually, they are readily available from many of the Mustang "Parts Houses" according to their catalogs.

I don't know if OMS carries them (perhaps Don will chime in here) but "California Mustang", "Mustang Plus" and "Mustangs Unlimited" all have them listed for $5.95.

I purchased mine several years ago from a local Mustang shop.

BT

I have seen these for sale at the big Ford swap meet in Columbus, Ohio. I bought the 72 edition.

I bought mine off of eBay a few years ago for my 73; they shouldn't be that hard to find. Seems like I took exception to some of the details in the booket as being incorrect, but I don't remember right now what they were!

I bought mine off of eBay a few years ago for my 73; they shouldn't be that hard to find. Seems like I took exception to some of the details in the booket as being incorrect, but I don't remember right now what they were!
Mine says that the windshield washer is activated by pulling on the knob and that the wipers are automatically activated with the washer. Neither of those are true on my car.

Yes, there is a lot of written information out there from "experts" who may have gotten it wrong initially. Then other "experts" continue to publish the misinformation as a result of the respect they have for the original expert.

These particular publications contain information gleaned or compiled from information provided by the "editors" of "Mustang Monthly Magazine" and not from Ford. Although being generated by the "Factory" does not necessarily mean the information is valid either. To the best of my knowledge, none of the automobile companies had a GREAT reputation for total accuracy relative to their products during this particular period.

I usually try to use several diverse sources for my information. I find the "Hollander Interchange Manuals" to be pretty accurate as they are allegedly developed by "dismantlers" who are stating what they actually see in the real world. I have spent a lot of time in Salvage Yards and have found the Hollander information to always be on target.

That having been said, I believe a copy of the subject pamphlet for ones particular Mustang is a "good" thing - - especially considering their minimal cost.

BT

I'm buying the book more for its cultural value and interest than its facts. Technical writing in the early 70's was quite different than it is today. I'm old enough to remember using a typewriter and a piece of carbon paper to create a document if it needed a copy, so my writing was much more careful and my words were used sparingly.

Today, as you can see, my writing has gone about 180 degrees from that time. :p

Doc

i've been comparing the 71-72 books for the packages specs regarding what ford allowed engines to be optioned with from the factory, it confirmed a theory i had.

the osboune books are good since he reproduced original materials that had been damaged or lost. even the ford source material has errors in it.

Back