C6/AOD Flexplate

I wanted to post here since I have been digging and searching and cant seem to find a definate answer. Im going to be doing an AOD swap in my 72 and Im trying to find out if I need to buy a new flexplate. The car is a q code 351 C 4V and it currently has the C6. From my research, the AOD needs a 164 tooth flywheel and after counting, my current flexplate is also 164 tooth and the convertor seems to drop nicely into the holes. So based on what I can tell the original flexplate seems to work, but being completely honest, Im kinda a newb when it comes to auto's. Would just be nice if the spacer and flexplate are both good since it saves me money I can spend on other goodies. 

• Like 1

The one other thing you need to be certain of is how the converter fits into the front pump. If the offset on the flexplate is wrong it can affect how deep the converter sits. 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Im assuming that for that I can seat the convertor fully in, and measure the distance from the mounting holes to the bell housing, and then measure the flex plate bolt spacing to the spacer plate, and it all should match up or be very close? 

• Like 1

With the converter fully seated and the transmission installed you need about a 1/8" gap between the flexplate and torque converter so there is no pressure against the pump. If you can measure everything that close you should be good. However, I would still check for the clearance after you get the transmission bolted into place and before bolting the converter to the flexplate.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

21 hours ago, Fabrice said:

Check that the plate is 28 oz.

The plate im hoping to use is the original one off the car. But if I do have to buy a new one I will definately make sure its the correct balance.