C6/AOD Flexplate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
351C 4V - C6
Blue with Blue interior
I wanted to post here since I have been digging and searching and cant seem to find a definate answer. Im going to be doing an AOD swap in my 72 and Im trying to find out if I need to buy a new flexplate. The car is a q code 351 C 4V and it currently has the C6. From my research, the AOD needs a 164 tooth flywheel and after counting, my current flexplate is also 164 tooth and the convertor seems to drop nicely into the holes. So based on what I can tell the original flexplate seems to work, but being completely honest, Im kinda a newb when it comes to auto's. Would just be nice if the spacer and flexplate are both good since it saves me money I can spend on other goodies. 

Im assuming that for that I can seat the convertor fully in, and measure the distance from the mounting holes to the bell housing, and then measure the flex plate bolt spacing to the spacer plate, and it all should match up or be very close? 

With the converter fully seated and the transmission installed you need about a 1/8" gap between the flexplate and torque converter so there is no pressure against the pump. If you can measure everything that close you should be good. However, I would still check for the clearance after you get the transmission bolted into place and before bolting the converter to the flexplate.

Back