Has anyone attempted a rear seat delete?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Galucha

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Coupe 302
Considering this for my car as I don't ever use the rear seat for passengers - there's essentially no legroom in the coupes. And I think I should be able to shave at least 50lbs in weight by doing so.

I've seen some kits out there for earlier year cars, but none for the 71-73s. Looking at using some ABS sheet material to make a panel and then glueing carpet on it. Anyone have pictures or a guide on how they did it?

I did it in my car.  I had a roll cage built and installed and had to shorten up the rear panels.  I used a three sheets of aluminum and glued carpet to match my interior.  I piece replaced the trap door, the second piece is flat and the third piece is bent to match the contours of the front panel.  I have my battery relocated and underneath where the passenger side rear set would be.  Here are a few pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kepqbZ7Ymfdsy2Rp6

I did it in my car.  I had a roll cage built and installed and had to shorten up the rear panels.  I used a three sheets of aluminum and glued carpet to match my interior.  I piece replaced the trap door, the second piece is flat and the third piece is bent to match the contours of the front panel.  I have my battery relocated and underneath where the passenger side rear set would be.  Here are a few pictures.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/kepqbZ7Ymfdsy2Rp6
Looks great! Thanks for the pics, that's pretty much exactly what I'm going for.

Started mocking it up with some cardboard as a template to get the dimensions right. Nothing too complex on the coupe, so this should be a pretty straightforward job. 

I found some 1/8" fiberglass reinforced ABS sheet that should be perfect, so the plan is to glue carpet onto the front, and lay dynamat on the trunk side of the panel. 

Also looks like the black paint on my quarter trim pieces is rubbing off where the seat was, so might be a good opportunity to fix it right and try out the SEM trim paint.

PSX_20211021_164541.jpg

Ok wrapped it up today. Not show quality by any means, and I still need to fix the paint on the quarter trim panels, but it gets the job done and saved me a good bit of weight.

I went ahead and made a new package tray as well. Made a "flap" on top of the trunk divider piece and put some Velcro on the back of it so that there wasn't a gap between the two pieces.

PSX_20211022_183909.jpg

PSX_20211022_183922.jpg

as to the rear interior panels . . . I've found that it is hard to repaint them, no matter how much prep you do.  Consider having them covered by an upholstery shop for a one and done solution.  Might be able to cover with car wrap even.

as to the rear interior panels . . . I've found that it is hard to repaint them, no matter how much prep you do.  Consider having them covered by an upholstery shop for a one and done solution.  Might be able to cover with car wrap even.
Well I figured since I already have a can of SEM paint on the way, I might as well give it a shot. I do like your idea of vinyl wrapping them though. I have a few yards of satin black 3M vinyl lying around, so that's gonna be my backup plan.

Wow this stuff is great! Spent a lot of time doing prep work and I did use a plastic adhesion promoter. I think the key to getting a really good uniform finish with this stuff is really light coats. I did about 6 coats to get these results.

We'll see how well it holds up over time I guess.

PSX_20211031_140959.jpg

PSX_20211031_141017.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back