NPD Ram Air Hood Springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello Mike,

That is a good question. In the October 2020 Mustang Times (Official publication of Mustang Club of America), there was an announcement from NPD about those springs. NPD stated that after a year of searching, they had found a facility that could duplicate the flat spring coils using a NOS spring as a template for the dimensions and spring tension. They also indicated a December '20 release date. It's now been a year since their October announcement. I haven't heard anything from NPD or seen any other update in the Mustang Times. Considering the craziness we've all experienced globally in the past year, It's anyone's guess as to what the problem is. Hopefully, the spring material is not on one of those ships from China waiting to be unloaded in California.  I haven't seen any ram air springs listed on any of the sites I usually check in a long while.

I would try calling one of the listed numbers or E-Mail NPD to see what they have to say about this overdue spring.

https://www.npdlink.com/contact

The Ford part # for the spring is D1ZZ-16789-B, and the NPD # is 16789-5A.  

Spring-ram air1.jpg

I received an email back from NPD. The delay is due to manufacturing problems winding the flat spring. They are trying to resolve this and will let me know when it is resolved so that they can fill my back order.

Hey Mike,     
Sounds like some excellent customer service from NPD. I had not followed the progress on these springs closely since I originally posted about them in Oct '20. The couple of times I did look, they were on perpetual back order, normal for today's world. At least they gave you a reason for the delay and that you will be notified when the problem is resolved, and your back order can be filled. :thumb:

The description mentions "each", so it's not clear at all if the price is for one spring or two.  Even if it is for one spring, it's not a bad price given what used ones are going for when you consider that used ones would likely need refinishing.

Back