Removing wheel lip trim/moulding

I am debating removing the wheel lip trim. I kind of like the look without them plus I could also roll the fender lips to gain about 1/4" track with on each side. This is one of my plans to improve my AutoX times. This trim also seems like an area where rust will love to grow!

I want to hear from those of you that have removed this trim since I am concerned that the trim may have left some marks on the paint that would look bad once removed. Whatever I do, I need to remove the trim from the rear driver side to inspect an area where the paint has bubbles. I want to make sure that if this is rust I can fix it early enough. 

Edited by tony-muscle

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Can someone that has removed the wheel lip trim let me know if there were permanent marks after its removal?

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

My thoughts: If they were installed when the paint was fresh or your paint is soft (old enamel) they may leave some marks.  If they were put on later, once the paint was hardened, you can probably polish out any marks left.  Be careful on the inside lip that you don't pull the paint off with the trim.  Touch up the paint around the screw holes to prevent rust.

My car didn't have them originally when I purchased it, I got a set over the counter and put them on, drove it that way for 25 years, and when I had the car repainted, I had the holes welded up.  I still have an NOS set that may find its way on the car, but I'm thinking probably not. 

---

Mike

I guess I will have to remove one and see. Thank you.