17 inch Rim back spacing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 "Q Code"
I picked up a set of American Racing AR883 Maverick Anthracite Machined Wheels (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/are-88377515440#overview) that are 17x7.5 that have 5.820 backspacing. For the front, I need wheel spacers since I added disk brakes. I would like to get a set of rims (17 inch) that do not require spacers. Anyone know what backspacing I would need for 17 inch rims in the front and rear to avoid using spacers? Also, if anyone knows a good tire size to fill the wheel house space without having to modify anything would be great. Thanks.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
Rule of thumb for our cars is one-half the rim width plus 1/2 inch, so a 4 to 4-1/2 inch backspace will work. What size of spacers are you using? Subtract the width of the spacers from the 5.82 inches and that will also give you a backspacing that will work. There also have been some reports of upper ball joint interference with 17" wheels.

Here's one recent example of tires and wheels that look good

My new wheel and tire combo - Suspension, Handling, Brakes, Wheels and Tires - 7173Mustangs.com

Here's an old one, some of the pictures have been lost

Show your wheels and tires! - Interior, Seats, Door Panels, Trunk, Glass, etc - 7173Mustangs.com

You'll be able to find a lot more by searching the forum.

Back