MOUNTING TIRES AND RIMS

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPAIN72MUSTANG

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang convertible
2008 ford edge
2006 cadillac cts
HI EVERYONE,NEED SOME HELP I BOUGHT 15X7 MAGNUM 500 AND I HAVE 205/60R/15 TIRES WILL THEY FIT ON MY 72 MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE,ANY INFO WILL HELP..THANKS

They are brand new wheels from summit racing,4.5 with 1.2 I think I'm wondering will that size tire and rim look good on there or do I need a bigger tire..thanks

With 4.5" backspace you might need to run some spacers (summit racing has the spacers/adapters, but you can get custom ones on ebay for cheaper). If I remember correctly the stock wheels had a 4" backspace. I'm running 2001 Bullitt rims (17x8) with 4.5" backspacing and I'll need 1" spacers to make them fit right because it's a bigger rim (right now there are 2" spacers on there...long story). These measurements are for the front, the rear wheels fit fine though I'm going to get some 1/2" spacers so that they look right as compared to the front.

I may be missing something here though...my brain is shot today.

ETA: check out what I found on a google search.

Last edited by a moderator:
They will fit, even with that backspacing. I had 255/60/15 on the original Magnum 500s and it worked with no issues.

Right now I have a 285/40/18 on a 10 inch rim in the rear and it fits without any mods.

EDIT: after checking the link that Steve (sm3570) posted, I will put it this way:

On MY CAR it would fit, as I have enough room to accommodate a 4,5 backspaced rim.

Fact is that I have seen different types of upper control arms, some came with a wider "lip" at the top, as stated in the article in the link.

Last edited by a moderator:
If they are from Summit/Wheel Vintiques series 54, the 15x7 is a 4.25 back spacing. The 205 is too small for the wheel and the car. I have used 235x60x15 and 245x60x15 tires. Both clear, the 245 being tighter. Chuck

Back