Just to let everybody know that owns a 73

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if your car was made before 5-14-73 has a different  column key switch it is CJ Pony part num HW1543 after 5-14-73 its HW1544 i hope CJ Pony puts that on there web site and not go thru sending 2 of the wrong switches and then the wright one to me

Last edited by a moderator:
Very timely you brought this up as my key cylinder is getting sketchier by the day.  My build date is 5/4/73. 

It often takes a lot of jiggling of the key in the lock cylinder to hit the start setting and then after it starts, sometimes requires a bit of a jiggle to get the gauges to operate.  CJPony offers an "ignition switch cylinder and keys" whereas it seems NPD needs a two item solution (switch and cylinder are sold separate, and together it's twice the price of CJ).

Just trying to understand what I need and purchase the right thing the first time.

CJPony:
https://www.cjponyparts.com/ignition-switch-cylinder-1970-1973/p/HW1543/

NPD:  https://www.npdlink.com/product/cylinder-and-keys-ignition-switch/101254?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dignition%2Bswitch%2Bcyl%2Band%2Bkeys%2Bassy%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1973&year=1973  and   https://www.npdlink.com/product/ignition-switch/101250?backurl=search%2Fproducts%3Fsearch_terms%3Dignition%2Bswitch%2Bcyl%2Band%2Bkeys%2Bassy%26top_parent%3D200001%26year%3D1973&year=1973

Yep i told CJ Pony this and they researched and found out that the cheaper one was made before 5-14-73 HW1543 also its a real trick getting the old one out theirs a little hole their by using a paper clip pushing in hard and pull the cyl. out

Yep i told CJ Pony this and they researched and found out that the cheaper one was made before 5-14-73 HW1543 also its a real trick getting the old one out theirs a little hole their by using a paper clip pushing in hard and pull the cyl. out

thumbnail (3).jfif

Attachments

• thumbnail (3).jfif
    92.7 KB · Views: 23
The terminology is misleading on the CJ site. The part in the upper steering column with keys is "cylinder and keys"; the ignition switch is a separate piece and would not be normally included with the cylinder and keys. Their illustration is incorrect as our cars do not have a lead coming off with a hardshell connector.
 If your Mustang is a '73, then you are involved in the 5/14/73 ignition key cylinder change. The end of the key cylinder and the flange it fits into changed after the 5/14 date. This was a corporate change involving several vehicle lines, so there will be some fuzzy areas before and after that date. Ford did not build these cars in consecutive serial numbers, and changes did not occur simultaneously at the assembly plants. So cars built close to, and after the change date could have either key cylinder. Also, consider any service replacement/repairs that could have been made with the newer service parts. Other than the ignition key cylinder, the other locks remained the same as the 71-72 models.
To save some time and frustration from receiving the wrong parts, you can pull your ignition key cylinder to identify the appearance of the end that fits into the flange. The illustration below (Red Arrow) is the before 5/14 D2AZ-11582-B (Motorcraft SW-1114) and from (Blue Arrow)  5/14 D4AZ-11582-A (Motorcraft SW-1191.

11582-d2az-b.jpg

11582-d4az-a.jpg

Yep i told CJ Pony this and they researched and found out that the cheaper one was made before 5-14-73 HW1543 also its a real trick getting the old one out theirs a little hole their by using a paper clip pushing in hard and pull the cyl. out....YOUR WRIGHT ITS A KEY CYL CHANGE AND THE SHAFT AND NIPPLE OR BUTTOM NEAR THE BACK OF THE BLUE ARROW IS TO WIDE ALSO 

I just noticed the two that are on CJ Ponys site is not the one i pulled out of my column but the one one the NPD site is the one so today ill be receiving the wrong one again its CJ Ponys blacked out one with a wire mine dont have that wire i want to keep the CJ Pony one with the wire ...what do i do just ground the wire????

This is right on time as I am working on my 73 ignition right now. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.  I will be starting my own thread on ignition switch/lock cylinder after this. Thanks again.

Tom

OK here's the finale on the key CYL CJ Pony didn't have the wright one but NPD parts did but remember these parts are real cheap in Quality so the key went in and out of the CYL while on my desk but when i installed it the Cyl into the column,, would not come out of the CYL ,,drove me nuts for a few hours so i removed the Cyl again and greased the key shoved it in and out put the  CYL back into the column wiggled it around and ,,,press doe,,, it came out so i shoved it in and out 10 times,,it takes a lot of wiggling ...have fun  

if your car was made before 5-14-73 has a different  column key switch it is CJ Pony part num HW1543 after 5-14-73 its HW1544 i hope CJ Pony puts that on there web site and not go thru sending 2 of the wrong switches and then the wright one to me
CJPony's part number HW1543 has a scathing review.  If you ordered it, how was the part to install?  And, is the external part black or chrome?

I used one of these full sets available in Aus, fitted straight in without any problems.

DOORS & BOOT LOCK + IGNITION BARREL SUIT XY XA XB & GT FALCON ZD ZF ZG F/LANE

Sorry, yes Aus = Australia. No Australia did not make Mustang columns.

The column in mine was the original USA 73 Mustang. Many parts (mechanical) on our early 70's Fords will fit the 71-73 mustangs. Same engines, trans, diffs, etc. 

Various Falcon bits I have used, Steering Box, Master Cylinder, Engine Mounts, Brakes, Suspension parts, Seat Belts, etc

Just our steering is on the "right" side.  :biggrin:

Have a look at these 2 photos. 1- My USA 73 Mach1. 2- Aus XB GT Falcon

20201015_133854 (2).jpg  XB GT.jpg

CJPony's part number HW1543 has a scathing review.  If you ordered it, how was the part to install?  And, is the external part black or chrome?
they sent me the wrong key even though i had the wright date code ,,theirs a video on utube on how to install it

Back