Removing old and Installing new lower Rocker Panels - How to Remove the old Rivets and old Plastic Clips ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971stang

Reaction score
Hi 7173Mustangs,

I am replacing the old bent rocker panels with new Dynacorn Rocker Panels.

Got the old one of easily enough, but not sure how to get the the old Plastic Tabs with Rivets off carefully.

Anybody know how the rivets can be pulled out ?  Needle nose pliers, Drill Bit etc...

Do I need to pull the Door Floor Sill off and will I be able to see the Rivet Ends there or Jack the Side of the Car up ?

A quick look underneath and didn't see them regarding...

Then I suppose I will need a Rivet Tool to install the new Plastic Clips right, but can I use the existing Holes ?

Is there a video on this process for a later model 71 - 73 Mustang ?

Thank you,

David

You do NOT remove the rivets

The plastic retainers will slide off [ look at them closely ] 

The bottom slides left or right [ look at the slot ] then you can lift it off of the rivet head.

Next push the retainer up to release it off the top rivet

Install new clips in reverse order

Mach 1s / Boss / 71 Spring Specials / 72 Sprint  did not and could not get the rocker or wheel well moldings, so it only applies to those equipped. They were standard on all 71-73 Grandes, and all 72-73 base model cars. Base cars could have them in 71 if equipped with the Decor Group. 

Back