Vinyl Roof Trim Molding Clips

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Hey guys, I have to get these clips. I need 9 of them to put my vinyl roof back on. I know I have been bugging you but I have run out of options. Do any of you have a source for these molding clips. I just looked at my ford body parts book and they only number I can find for them is 40223. I have no idea what that means but thats it. If you have a proper number for them that would help. Anything. I am desperate. I would even allow you to spend an evening with the 7173mustang forums wife. Oh boy, now I done did it.

08-3459.jpg

A while back a friend of mine used some clips from Summit racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OER-K863C/?rtype=10

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/OER-K653C/?rtype=10

I dont know if they were exact but they worked.

Last edited by a moderator:
According to my "Restorer", he did not have enough of the clips when he did the top on Ice (my Grande). He went next door to the Upholstery's Shop and got some type of generic clips which according to him worked perfectly. He stated that these clips are readily available.

If you cannot find it, let me know and I will go over to the Upholstery Shop there and see about getting them for you.

Hope this helps!

BT

Please do. I have hopes that the summit ones will work but I prefer something closer to the original for no other reason than I want it to work the first time. Thanks

Well I never did get the right clips but after buying 6 packs on ebay of various clips I made some work. Only to find a guy that can print the right ones for me after I got the trim back on. So back off with the trim and put the right ones on because the new ones make the side door trim a bit loose.

The clips you are looking for are C7SZ-6540248-B. Long since discontinued from Ford. But the same clip was used on 73-79 F series Ford pick up trucks when it was equipped with a cab corner belt molding. There is an online version of NPD's (National Parts Depot) 48-79 F Series Truck. On page 258 there is a item "P" molding that uses clip "H", which is their part number "F-40248-2".

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Ford-Truck-48-79/#p=258 If you go to the left lower side of the page under "Retainer clip, body side molding and click on the blue part number for H, it will take you to a shopping cart that shows a pretty good illustration of the clip and you can adjust quantity required. If you haven't already found some, hopefully these will work for you!

The clips you are looking for are C7SZ-6540248-B. Long since discontinued from Ford. But the same clip was used on 73-79 F series Ford pick up trucks when it was equipped with a cab corner belt molding. There is an online version of NPD's (National Parts Depot) 48-79 F Series Truck. On page 258 there is a item "P" molding that uses clip "H", which is their part number "F-40248-2".

http://www.nationalpartsdepot.com/flipbook/Ford-Truck-48-79/#p=258 If you go to the left lower side of the page under "Retainer clip, body side molding and click on the blue part number for H, it will take you to a shopping cart that shows a pretty good illustration of the clip and you can adjust quantity required. If you haven't already found some, hopefully these will work for you!
What the heck are you doing up at 2:00 am? Does Dennis Carpenter not make the clips also? Not sure but I though they did.

I would be afraid of 3-D printed parts have never seen anything but prototypes and they are not too tough. I think the originals were glass filled nylon but not sure.

David

David

Lol...Was 1:00 AM here (Central time in MS). Was watching Fast and Furious #6, again! Just checked Dennis Carpenter,s online 67-79 Ford truck catalog and they also have them. When I lived in SC I used to go to the Spring and Fall Hornets Nest car show at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and pick up an arm load of their catalogs. Their business was about a mile down from the track, so I always had a pocket full of "Want" lists and was able to pick up everything that everyone wanted.

When I got a letter from Ford stating that they were discontinuing all 55-57 T-Bird and 65-73 Mustang parts I thought "Now what are we going to do"? Then they went on to say they were transferring most of the original tooling for the Mustang parts to Dennis Carpenter. So Ford must of thought a lot of Carpenter's quality and manufacturing ability.

So if the clips are still needed, just go to Carpenter's online 67-73 Truck catalog and type C7SZ-6540248-B in the search window. The description indicates they are from original tooling, so the fit should be fine.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/back-belt-molding-clip-retainer/p/C7SZ-6540248-B/

Last edited by a moderator:
Lol...Was 1:00 AM here (Central time in MS). Was watching Fast and Furious #6, again! Just checked Dennis Carpenter,s online 67-79 Ford truck catalog and they also have them. When I lived in SC I used to go to the Spring and Fall Hornets Nest car show at the Charlotte Motor Speedway and pick up an arm load of their catalogs. Their business was about a mile down from the track, so I always had a pocket full of "Want" lists and was able to pick up everything that everyone wanted.

When I got a letter from Ford stating that they were discontinuing all 55-57 T-Bird and 65-73 Mustang parts I thought "Now what are we going to do"? Then they went on to say they were transferring most of the original tooling for the Mustang parts to Dennis Carpenter. So Ford must of thought a lot of Carpenter's quality and manufacturing ability.

So if the clips are still needed, just go to Carpenter's online 67-73 Truck catalog and type C7SZ-6540248-B in the search window. The description indicates they are from original tooling, so the fit should be fine.

http://dennis-carpenter.com/back-belt-molding-clip-retainer/p/C7SZ-6540248-B/
I also use to go to the swap meet until the mid 80's. I went to visit Carpenters shop it is like a maze. When he fills up a building he ads another. He did buy lots of the original machines for making the stainless trim and the rubber so his does look and fit better. I have not been there since he got the ability to run big sheet metal parts. It use to make me sick when we scraped tooling. We sent the grill tooling for the 66 chevelle to the scrap yard to make re bar I guess. Ford transferred their pick up grill tools to someone else that ran them for a while but I think they are gone now.

David

Back