Mexican 302 block, pros vs cons & opinions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RD-72

Reaction score
In an attempt to learn more....

When I had my motor pulled a couple of years ago, I was told I had a Mexican 302 block, but didn’t think too much about it at the time.  Within the last couple of weeks another member posted a link to the www.MustangTek.com website. When I was exploring the website, it pointed me to the characteristic of the Mexican 302 (round knob on the front drivers side behind the fuel pump, just to the left of the oil filter, and a half moon on the front passenger side of the block ...which I do have on my block, as per the attached picture).

Researching the web for pros vs cons of the Mexican block has been a challenge....most of what I have found on the web seems based mostly on opinion.  It seems to me that this 302 block was not mainstream, and may be somewhat rare.

Some say it has a higher nickel content, weighs slightly more, and is stronger than other 302’s (with heavy duty main caps, similar to the hi performance 289).

Other opinions are that there really is no meaningful difference.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some facts about this block, provide opinions on the issue (hopefully supported with facts). 

thx all, as always, I appreciate your comments!

A44C72C7-3821-4F91-B752-2329F2A1EB62.jpeg

Back