Front to Rear Brake Line

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MooseStang

Reaction score
My Car
72 Q-code Vert
72 L-code Vert
I need to replace my front to rear brake line.   I don't have a lift, only a set of ramps and jack stands.
What's the best to tackle the job?  How & where should I feed the line through?

I tackled the job like that too. You could orientate on the locations of your old line, I did it without the rear axle, exhaust, driveshaft and the tank, so it was much easier. With them in place you better take some towels on that parts to not scratch them too much, if they are still nice. Then you better fish it through from the rear on over the rear axle to the left of the transmission. Heaviest part was to get through the bend upwards under the firewall to the brake master. You have to go back and forth a while , perhaps bend the line a bit and resend after correct location. With the transmission in place it's not that easy but doable. Take your time and do not bend the line to much  :thumb:

I think it is doable. I did it under a lift but I can see doing it without it. The hardest area will be around the firewall, under the brake booster into the engine bay since that area is very busy.

I did mine, on jackstands on fully assembled car, and yeah take lots of pictures of layers on firewall, that area to brake proportion valve is a PIA.

I think I pulled mine front to back, because the back has the least bends, the struggled to get the front part against the firewall and bent over to the master cylinder area…it helps to have less things on car, like exhaust or driveshaft…

Yes, PITA.  It ain't pretty,  but it's in there.  I'll try to pretty it up after I confirm everything works and no leaks.   Booster from LEEDS arrived today.   It's a 9 in. Mine was an 11, I realized today. I got new master cylinder, but then find out I need adapters for the lines. Rubber hoses are due next week,  maybe then I can get back on the road.  And break in the trakloc.

Yes, PITA.  It ain't pretty,  but it's in there.  I'll try to pretty it up after I confirm everything works and no leaks.   Booster from LEEDS arrived today.   It's a 9 in. Mine was an 11, I realized today. I got new master cylinder, but then find out I need adapters for the lines. Rubber hoses are due next week,  maybe then I can get back on the road.  And break in the trakloc.
I too ordered the LEEDS unit when I redid my brakes.  Like you I found out after ordering that it was a 9" instead of the 11" original.  LEEDS does not offer an 11" booster.

I ended up returning it and sending my old 11" booster out to be rebuilt.  After recommendations from others I used these guys out of Portland:    http://boosterdeweyexchange.com/   

I'm happy with the service and quality of the work.  Just FYI if you choose to go as the original.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back