Sealing panels for long term storage

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 H code fastback Boss 351 clone
Time is my worst enemy, never enough of it. That being said, I would like to start stripping body panels for repaint, BUT, I can not do everything in a weekend or steadily at all. If I strip my panels to bare metal what can I spray on them that will seal them for long term storage. I would also like this to be a workable layer once I can get to it. All opinions welcome. Thank You!!

When I stripped my 71, I used SEM Rust Mort to kill any rust in the pitted areas after DA'ing the snot out of it. It's a phosphoric acid based product and will leave a protective zinc phosphate layer to prevent flash rust. I applied Nason self etching primer over that, which I do not recommend. Current "best practice" seems to be an epoxy primer after treating any rust issues. I've heard a lot of good things about Southern Polyurethanes, and that the owner is very helpful to novice painters. 

If you want to leave parts in bare metal for any amount of time take a look at www.rblproducts.com . Their Restoration Plus wipes or sponges work really well even here on the east coast of Florida. They also have all kinds of cool tools and supplies. While expensive Axalta 2580cr corrosion resistant epoxy is well worth it for your foundation.

As others have said, sealing them with an epoxy primer is your best bet to keep surface rust from forming.  Down the road, when you get time to work on everything, some light sanding will open up the cured epoxy layer for body filler or some high build primer.  

What is your climate like?  Is your work area temperature stable (slow temperature swings)?  Do metal items “sweat” in your shop?

The thermonuclear option is epoxy primer.  The light duty option is a wipe with phosphoric acid.  Lots of options between.

I live in a dry arid climate.  Worst enemy is when the wife parks her ride in the garage caked with snow raising the humidity.  Some parts of my car have been bare for two years with no issues.  I wipe them down with a little phosphoric acid.  

If I lived in a costal area I’m sure I couldn’t get away with the same methods.

I live in Minnesota, but my welding shop is heated in the winter, but NOT cooled during the summer, high humidity summers. Sounds like 2K primer is probably my best option, but the phosphoric acid wipe sounds like a great prep. Thanks Gents!!

Back