What is the best frame connectors

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the global west design since it engages more of the frame rail, not just welding to the end. 
Actually, the Tinmans engage the frame rail for a few inches. In the front the connector slides inside the frame rail overlapping about 6" and in the rear it overlaps about 8". Not exact dimensions since I can't remember exactly, but here are some pictures.

Front: square connector slides inside frame rail. You can see the two plug welds on the side.

20150818_123322_resized.jpg

On the rear there is a tab and a long overlap to weld:

20150512_211319.jpg

for my 73 Mach,,, is the one's CJ Pony have good?
Like Tony-muscle I used Tinman's connectors on my 70 Mach 1. I liked the stock appearance. I also bolted them thru the aftermarket one piece seat platform for additional enforcement.

20190825_132103.jpg20200126_132124.jpg.9015409cda6fc431f89cc596c10bddc3.jpg20191215_184348.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Tony-muscle I used Tinmans connectors on my 70 Mach 1 I liked the stock appearance. I also bolted them thru the aftermarket one piece seat plarform for additional reforcement.
I like how you connected it to the floor pan/seat platform. Great idea. Your welds look much better than mine!

This is what I was going to do but I still haven’t made them yet. I even bought the steel to make them. I did read something about the 170 degree angle being a bit off. I can’t remember where I saw that but I think they said it was too much and should be more like 168?  I’m sure if you were building them they could be made to the correct angle before being welded up with no problems.

I like how you connected it to the floor pan/seat platform. Great idea. Your welds look much better than mine!
Like the 71-73 seat platforms, the 69-70 factory seat platforms are two pieces (Driver and passenger sides), with 69-70 aftermarket seat platforms you have choice of using the two piece factory or a stronger one piece that extends from the rocker over the tunnel hump and the to the other rocker. I used the one piece, welded a steel plate to the top of each of the tinman subframes and bolted it thru the floor and thru the rear flange of the seat platform. I don't know if it actually makes everything more rigid or not, but in mind I thought it would help. The only downside is they say it makes the seat site a 1/2" higher than stock and requires a little modification to the bottom edge of the center console., but I did not have any problem with he seat height, nor did I mod the console. 

Would be nice if they made one piece floor platforms for 71-73 years too.

As far as the welds.... pictures can hide a lot! :)

image.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Back