• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: 1973 Rear window handle

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
I broke the knob off my right side interior rear window handle. These handles are different than the front handles in that they are much shorter. Looking for a replacement in good condition. Doesn't need to be show quality but decent.

FWIW: The 73 rear window crank handle and knob is a "one piece" construction. The replacement knobs from other years won't fit easily. And of course the 73 handle itself is almost impossible to find. You MIGHT be able to make the replacement knobs work by cutting/drilling out the old knob but since mine still worked (only the plastic was cracked) I didn't try it.

Mike

I didn't know this, so I went out and measured my cranks.  LOA front about 5 inches, and rears about 4 1/4 inches.  I am missing one front knob and one rear knob. On my late-production 1973 convert, will the rear knobs differ from the front knobs?    

Last edited by a moderator:
If the picture comes through it is the rear window crank from ny 73 Grande with a couple of aftermarket knobs. As you can see neither knob will fit without modifying the crank. The part protruding from the top would have to be cut off or otherwise modified  and even then it the new knobs might not fit. I will say I have limited fabrication skills so YMMV.

Mike

20181219_180221.jpg

What is the Ford part number that is stamped on the back of the handle that you need to replace?

Last edited by a moderator:
You looking at going concourse?

if not, I believe Scott drake and other guys make repop’s of the window cranks.

I had a set of the ones pictured above original to my car...but the plastic was all coloured and breaking off. I bought a set of repop’s plastics but they would no fit over the domes.  I then bought a set of repop cranks from my local mustang shop....BUT I note that the ones I bought were attached by set screws on the side of crank.....when opening or closing, torc on the crank, in effect, twisted the crank slightly, and the set screw came loose and the crank fell off numerous times.  Pissed me off to say the least.

I ended getting a oem set from a local  guy (center tightening...with just the flat metal with a hole in it, that the repop buttons would fit on) who has a storage locker of 71-73 mustang parts that he has been sitting on for ~25 years here in Calgary....they weren’t cheap but Cheaper than EPay, and I gotta choose from a dozen or so sets that he had at that time.

From experience, I would highly recommend get the ones with the center screw connections as pictured above.

Back