1971 M Code

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr Mac

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Sportsroof
What carburetor was installed by Ford for the 351C 4V engine? My car has been through enough hands that the original engine is gone (haven't checked the block ID numbers yet) based on the fact that there are 2V heads and a Holley 750 sitting on top.

I have a line on a couple different sets of heads and I'll verify I have the OE intake this weekend and go from there.

For the record (and Jake, I hope you're reading this) I am not just trying to bring the car back to its original configuration but when it's all said and done, my son, Jake, wants to meet me at a local strip to see whose car is faster; his 1976 Firebird with its 350 Poncho versus my '71 Sportsroof with its 4V.

Yeah...he's in for a rude awakening!

My M code origionally had a 4300D. What a piece of junk that carb was, leaking and bad

drivability issues again in 6 months after a pro rebuild. I think modern gas with injector cleaners and ethanol quickly did it in.

New Edelbrock 750, what a difference, plus more power! It's been running great for 4 years now.

Make sure and put a good edlebrock carb and intake on the car along with a K&N and a dual exhaust system. You will beat the pants off of your son. However, his car will handle much better, no curves.

Make sure and put a good edlebrock carb and intake on the car along with a K&N and a dual exhaust system. You will beat the pants off of your son. However, his car will handle much better, no curves.
Let's not forget, Jake is 14 and I know his engine builder! lollerz

Without question there will be a dual exhaust system underneath and I am actually thinking about an Edelbrock 2665 Performer intake and see if that 750 might be worth keeping.

I think it would have come with a 4300A, near square bore carb and a D0AE-9425-L iron intake to match. The intake is OK but the carb, as others have mentioned, can be a real PITA to make work well. Do you have the LIST number from the 750, it should be stamped on the front of the choke housing. If you have it, I can look up exactly what it is and what the original internal were to give you a starting point for calibration purposes. IMO the holley will make more power than the Edelbrock. Chuck

I think it would have come with a 4300A, near square bore carb and a D0AE-9425-L iron intake to match. The intake is OK but the carb, as others have mentioned, can be a real PITA to make work well. Do you have the LIST number from the 750, it should be stamped on the front of the choke housing. If you have it, I can look up exactly what it is and what the original internal were to give you a starting point for calibration purposes. IMO the holley will make more power than the Edelbrock. Chuck
I thought it was 4300D, I'll have to dig it out of the basement.

It is known to be origional. It DEFINATLY was a spreadbore with iron spreadbore intake though. (4 holes)

Does that make it a "D"??

Maybe Ford used both carbs on production 351-4v in 71,,stranger things have happened to get those cars off the assembly line!

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought it was 4300D, I'll have to dig it out of the basement.

It is known to be origional. It DEFINATLY was a spreadbore with iron spreadbore intake though. (4 holes)

Does that make it a "D"??

Maybe Ford used both carbs on production 351-4v in 71,,stranger things have happened to get those cars off the assembly line!

The 4300A is not quite square bore but it is close. The 4300D is a very pronounced spread bore. If it has a relatively late production date it could be a 4300D spread bore. The switch occurred "officially" when the 351C 4v designation changed to Q code late in the 1971 model year. However, I have seen a lot of things on unmolested cars that were not supposed to be there until the following model year. Chuck

It's an m-code, not a Q, built in Jan 71.

My intake definatly has 4 holes (2 large and 2 small). I assume "not quite a square bore"

means it has one large square(ish) hole?

Your stang should have come form the factory with a Autolite 4300A carb.

Having owned a 77 Grand Prix with a 350 Poncho motor I can tell you that if he has the stock 2.41 rear end still in the bird he'll hit the traps in 2nd gear. That said all 350 ponchos from 1970-1976 had 2bbl carbs from the factory except the 74 GTO engine. In 77 they went back to the 4bbl only. If he switches to a 4bbl intake and QJet carb with decent gears he'll run you hard. Alot of people discount the 350P because of the small bore but they can be made to run well. My GP surprised alot of pontiac people when they drove it and then found out it was a 350 and not a 400.

Having babbled all that. A stock 71 M code mustang versus a stock 76 bird 350P the win will go to the Stang. Even the field with say a 3.08 rear gear and 4bbl carb and intake for the bird with true duals and you'll find the bird will be tough to shake.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an m-code, not a Q, built in Jan 71.

My intake definatly has 4 holes (2 large and 2 small). I assume "not quite a square bore"

means it has one large square(ish) hole?
Sorry for not being clear. By "not quite square bore" I meant the primary round throttle blades are slightly smaller in diameter than the secondary round throttle blades unlike the throttle blades on a spread bore 4300D model that have a very pronounced difference in primary and secondary blade diameters. A square bore carb is what is found on a typical 4150/4160/4500 series Holley carb. The diameter of the throttle bores are the same at all four corners hence the slang term square bore. I was not saying you car is a Q code. And I have no doubt that your car had a spread bore carb and intake on it when you bought it. Chuck

Back