Paint Scheme

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
2010 Ford F150 Screw
2010 Buick Lacrosse
2002 Triumph Trophy
1972 Mustang Grande
1954 Ford F100
Does anyone have a paint idea that is not stock or factory like. I even like the boomerang side graphics. Just something besides that black out hood scoop thingy and the Mach 1 stuff on the side.

I too have put a lot of thought and effort into a custom paint scheme, just havent come up with much yet. I have thought about a cowl hood to allow for a different paint scheme. I think Chip Foose needs to put a few out for us to go by!

I like the black accents as well! I think I may go with a shade darker than grabber blue with a modified black mach 1 stripe and something black on the ram air hood, just want to try and stay away from the typical design...not too sure, gonna paly with it for a bit.

I'm kinda thinking of doing a Boss hood blackout, along with the "C" stripe. I'm definately going to blackout my rims. I'm still waffling on blacking out the trim; at that point it'd be a full on blackout scheme.

BTW, dark blue paint like the new Kona Blue Metallic on the 2012 Mustang. I saw a 'vert GT the other day with black accents on the Kona Blue Metallic paint...hot damn!

Does anyone have a paint idea that is not stock or factory like. I even like the boomerang side graphics. Just something besides that black out hood scoop thingy and the Mach 1 stuff on the side.
Here's mine:

S2OlI.jpg

z7rIS.jpg

I´ve always liked the Chip Foose like two tone paint jobs with a small accent stripe where the two colors meet. (I call it Foose like just for reference, though I know it´s been done before he was born)

The downside of that scheme is that it is trendy so you might put a lot of work and money into something that will in the near future be completely out of fashion.

Just think of all those flashy paint jobs of the eighties with their pastel neon accents and stripes. Those look cheesy today.

That is why I chose to go with something that is a little more "timeless" and won´t go out of style (except for the rims, but that is easy to change).

Don´t get me wrong, I´m not a man of fashion and I don´t care about what is fashionable, it´s just that (personal) taste changes over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone remember the Velvet spray they were putting on cars in the late 60's early 70's? That would be different and soft to the touch!

I also thought about the idea of having all of my chrome either anodized black or powder coated black. I really like the anodized look, just soooo much more expensive, but we will see. Has anyone ever thought of painting the dash frame to match the exterior color like they did in the 65-66 stangs? I think a bright color light yellow may not look as good and goudy at the same time. However, I think my mind is set for a few shades darker than the new grabber blue. So here goes for my custom paint scheme...Dark Grabber Blue paint to include dash frame on the interior, all chrome trim and bumpers anodized black, a modified black mach 1 stripe ( probably a little thicker than the stock one and have it fade off the end), a thinner and less dominant version of the hood stripe in black, and no lower black tone on the sides of the car, black vinyl roof, tinted windows, black chrome 17" torque thrust II style wheels, front plastic spoiler, all black interior with some carbon fiber accents and white guages. I am trying to find a lower profile rear spoiler, not a huge fan of the factory one. I might try to see how well a 2006 GT500 spoiler fits the decklid. Well there it is!

it´s just that (personal) taste changes over the years.
Mike, you hit the nail on the head. I wonder how many airbrush jobs get painted over when the owner gets tired of it?

Anyone remember the Velvet spray they were putting on cars in the late 60's early 70's? That would be different and soft to the touch!
Me: "Dude, stop molesting my car!"

Other guy: "So soft...can't stop rubbing the car..."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a couple of cars like ours 2 toned. they followed the bodyline at the top of the fenders and went along to the top of the quarters. The horizontal surfaces were one color and the vertical surfaces another. They looked sharp in my opinion.

I believe the correct answer is all of them! :)
Probably. I'd settle for "most of them", just to be on the safe side. :)

tumblr_lrfha0Meqr1ql5fn1o1_500.jpg

is this too much???
kinda reminds me of halloween? i like how the paint flows with the body lines, if only it was different colors. not sure an older one will look good with all this flash!

Back