• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

map light option

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if any one has an extra laying around was thinking i might want that option like almost 40 years later, i just hope its an easy plug and play option
In most cases it is not a plug and play

The wiring won't be there

if any one has an extra laying around was thinking i might want that option like almost 40 years later, i just hope its an easy plug and play option

+1 Chuck

+1 Chuck
+2, I bought one for my 73 convert and the harness was not there. One of these days I will check the wiring diagram and figure out how to wire one in. Ford should have made these standard on the converts since there is no dome light (unless you park under a street light or a full moon with the top down)

I found mine on e-bay. It's true the wiring isn't there but it was a pretty easy fab since I had an extra bullet connector in the spare parts box. (never, well almost never throw anything away).

Last night I went to the Route 66 event in San Bernardino, Ca. And I'll tell you driving around in the dark trying to read a map and find my parking space it was just the ticket.

I think the light is supposed to work two ways, one when the door is open or the interior lights are turned on at the switch and can also be turned on by a switch on the light itself. You could just hot wire it with the bullit connector and use the switch only.

homelessmexican,

below is the wiring of the map light. I'm not sure if they mixed up 53/54 at the connector.

- Manfred

MapLight.jpg

If you get his assembly.

I have new lenses for 14.95

Don

If you have underdash lights, then there is a connection for the maplight. It's all part of the convenence package, which includes the underdash or courtesy, map, glove box, trunk and underhood lights. In 71 if you ordered the option, it was integral with the underdash harness. After 71, it became a totally separate harness altogether. They are out there but pricey if they are in good uncut condition. The underhood light is the hardest to find, almost like trying to find a park or belts lens for the dash. Trunk lights can be used underhood but are far from being correct. They both work on mercury switch technology.

If you have underdash lights, then there is a connection for the maplight. It's all part of the convenence package, which includes the underdash or courtesy, map, glove box, trunk and underhood lights. In 71 if you ordered the option, it was integral with the underdash harness. After 71, it became a totally separate harness altogether. They are out there but pricey if they are in good uncut condition. The underhood light is the hardest to find, almost like trying to find a park or belts lens for the dash. Trunk lights can be used underhood but are far from being correct. They both work on mercury switch technology.
My 73 convertible has the under dash lights from the factory but not the wiring for the map light. I think the underdash lights were standard on the convertibles since there is no dome light.

Back