1971 Diesel Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luxstang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok guys, I know this is not the way to start an otherwise perfectly good week, but our friend Fred67 posted this on a German forum and we decided to share that with you guys.

He found a Mach1 for sale that had its original 351 removed in the 70ies and replaced by a Mercedes Diesel engine with the matching transmission and rear axle!!!

the car has been used as a daily driver for the last 35 years.

In a strange way that even somewhat made sense, as it was the fuel crisis and fuel prices rocketed skywards here in Europe even more so than in the US.

The car was a real Mach1 according to the VIN and unfortunately the 351 was disposed of. Also note the vinyl on the back part of the roof only.

Here are the pics.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart! :s

diesel1.jpg

diesel2.jpg

diesel3.jpg

In a strange way, that is kind of cool! Definitely from a technical aspect as I'm sure it took some skill to fit that diesel engine in there!

Mercedes = very cool. As long as it's not a Chevy.

Looks like you can fit some 12" wide rims under the back...

I really don't know what to make of that, but in case the new owner ends up a member of this forum, well it's....um...really great :banana:::chili:::banana:

Last edited by a moderator:
not my first engine choice but very interesting indeed. On my FSJ forum there are a few guys who have done diesel swaps, mostly the cummings (which I understand are very heavy).

Problem is that it is an old Diesel engine from the 70ies. It delivers around 88 hp and is noisy as hell!!! In a race you might not be able to beat an old VW bug, even if it has a very bad day.

Now if this were a new Mercedes compressed Diesel, that thing would put out about 300 hp and +-370 ft lbs!!! With that it would be hard to find a competitor. A friend of mine has a new Mercedes with such an engine and it kicks butt!

The car is for sale by its 65 y/o owner, by the way.....

Ok guys, lets take up a fund to ship this guy a rebuilt 351C with over 400HP. Thats sacriligous. I feel the same way about people that put any other engine in a Ford other than a Ford unless its for more power. The series of LS1s-LSX are the exception.

I do not think I have ever seen the vinyl roof on the back half of the fastback. I have seen one on the front half before. Strange.

Man, that's cool from a technical aspect. I love diesels, but one from a 70s or 80s Benz...well i think I'd pass. If it were a newer turbo diesel...wowza!

I do not think I have ever seen the vinyl roof on the back half of the fastback. I have seen one on the front half before. Strange.
I'm with you. I think someone replaced it and made a executive decision. Hopefully he'll join the forum and we'll find out.

Could be feed holes for the squirrels. Notice the serious ground on the battery. Now thats using the head, or the frame of the car. LOL

Ok guys, I know this is not the way to start an otherwise perfectly good week, but our friend Fred67 posted this on a German forum and we decided to share that with you guys.

He found a Mach1 for sale that had its original 351 removed in the 70ies and replaced by a Mercedes Diesel engine with the matching transmission and rear axle!!!

the car has been used as a daily driver for the last 35 years.

In a strange way that even somewhat made sense, as it was the fuel crisis and fuel prices rocketed skywards here in Europe even more so than in the US.

The car was a real Mach1 according to the VIN and unfortunately the 351 was disposed of. Also note the vinyl on the back part of the roof only.

Here are the pics.

Warning: Not for the faint of heart! :s
Daily driver for the past 35yrs? S/he must've done something right to keep it running for that long. I see another Mercedes in the driveway so maybe s/he was just more comfortable wrenching on the Mercedes engine and loved the Ford Mach body style. Love it!!!

Back