Torq Thrust II's

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepasquale1

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Mach 1
I thinking of going with American Racing Torqu Thrust 2's. Trying to figure out what sizes. Thinking 16x7 in the front and 16x8s in the rear. I want something to fill the wheel wells kinda decent on my 73 Mach1. Looking for opinions and what others have done to get a good look. Not too sure about tire size either. I know i dont want to back end higher than the front. i want the tire height even all the way around.

My advice would be to get 17" TTII. (8" wide).

Those look good on our cars, the choice from tires is vast and you can run modern tires that offer good grip and performance under any kind of driving conditions.

If you go 17" the tire's sidewall will still be high enough to look "classic".

As for tire size you can't go wrong with 245/50/17 front and back. If you don't mind staggering the tires try a 235 up front and a 9 or 9,5" wide rim with 255/45/17 or even a 275/45/17 in the back.

That would be approx the height of the original wheels.

You can go one size higher for the sidewalls, it will look even better.

I went with the Vintage 45 on my '73 Grande. Those wheels are similar to the wheels you are looking at for your application. Mine are 16 X 8 and I am using BFG G Force KDW 245/50/16.

Here is how they fit:

1z54tpf.jpg

Hope this helps!

BT

hey lux, i love the stance you maintained with the rims and tires you went with. What size did you go with on the front and rear? I really like the staggered look and you pulled it off beautifully, did you have to do any metal fab in the rear to fit those tires in? Great looking convertible man!

hey lux, i love the stance you maintained with the rims and tires you went with. What size did you go with on the front and rear? I really like the staggered look and you pulled it off beautifully, did you have to do any metal fab in the rear to fit those tires in? Great looking convertible man!
Hi, sorry for the delay, but I´ve been offline for a few days.

First of all I must thank you for the kind words!

Rims are: front 9x18 and rear 10x18. Tires are 245/40/18 front and 285/40/18 rear. No rolling or other mods to the body. Before it was lowered this far it had 255/45/18 up front with the one inch lower 620lbs coil springs from Mustangs Unlimited. No problem with those either, but after I cut the springs to get to this height, the tires would rub the fenders, which is why I switched to these smaller tires. With rolled fenders it would have worked with no issues.

If I were to do it again, I would go 8 inch wide instead of 9 inch up front. That would look better as now the tires are a little narrow for the rims.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks mike, i read your post on the backspacing needed and offset measurements, very interesting how you did all of that. one day i will get some new rims and tires, but i got a lot to do before then!

Back