Which block in my Mustang ??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sly_drums

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mustang Grande / 351 Clev. 2V + Weiand XCelerator intake + Holley 600 CFM carb
Hello guys, here is a question which is unanswered since I have my Mustang (one month and a half).

Anyway here is some cool info :

I just had an email from one previous owner and he told me the original 351C 4V Cobra Jet engine has been removed to be installed in a Detomaso Pantera ! He told me the actual block comes from a Ford Ranchero but he doesn't know which year (72, 71 or earlier ?).

It's pretty common here in France to have non original parts in american cars because there are not that much of them around here and some parts are difficult to get.

So, my block has 2V heads for sure, and looks like a 351 Cleveland, but I'm not sure. May be a Windsor ? How can I verify this ? Also the transmission is a C4 which isn't a common one for 351 Clevelands.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a quick link to help you out.

"A differentiation between the Windsor and Cleveland series are the location of the radiator hose — the Windsor routed coolant through the intake manifold, with the hose protruding horizontally, while the Cleveland had a dry manifold with the radiator hose connecting vertically to the cylinder block above the cam timing chain cover."

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks I'm going to check this, and different firing order too ?

The ABSOLUTE best way is to post up the casting numbers on the heads and block. With that information, we will be able to tell you for sure what you have.

BT

Cleveland head has 8 valve cover bolts

Windsor has 6

They probably swapped in another cleveland, a windsor would have been more of a pain. Both the coolent and number of valve cover bolts tells the story.

Back in the day I used to 'correct' sellers on ebay when they would list their Mustang as having a Cleveland when it was obviously NOT a Cleveland. Got tired of doing it...

Back