Starter binds on hot restart

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
Good morning to most. Bin awhile since I was on last, about 200 members ago. Have put about 700 mile on OH motor now and must let her sit and cool for about 15minutes before stater will crank to restart. Does crank fine cold. Maybe header heat and weak starter to blam? Chevy co-worker metioned could be lower bearing concern which raised some hairs on the back of my neck. Has new starter cable which does get warm (starter draw) Does anyone know if other year fords use the same starters? Have rebuilt lots of starters in my day but not parts avail. now.

Alan L

If your headers are too close, you may be heating it up - do you have the deflector shield that was original to the engine. It was a piece of metal (with asbestos cloth glued on) that attached via the engine mount bolt holes. It provided a heat shield over a portion of the starter. If not, I would not be difficult to fabricate something out of sheet metal.

Is the starter new? If not - take it in for a free check at your local auto store. They can measure the draw.

Couldn't tell exactly, but I'm thinking starters for 302's, 351, etc are pretty much the same unit. I've never had a problem getting a starter. Typically, new / re-manufactured run about $50.

Glad to see your back on the site! If all else fails, you might try one of those mini-high torque starters. The smaller size would give you more air space and hopefully less heat from the headers. Let us know how it goes.

yOU MENTIONED THAT YOU INSTALLED A NEW CABLE. Did you use a heavy guage wire? Many times the heat espeacialy with headers is not compatible with light wire. The wire builds up to much resistents when hot and wont carry enough juice.

Take the starter off and have it tested. If it's O.K. We will all go from there. Helps trying a dozen different things. Like:

Starter windings breaking down

Weak solenoid

Advanced timing

Main bearing wear

Connecting rod wear

But ya gotta start somewhere and this is 2 bolts and free at most auto shops.

Last edited by a moderator:
X2 on the potential (over)advanced timing.

And, yes, grounds absolutely. I've had that one bite me once.

Glad u r back! I had the same problem and fixed it with a mini starter from a 2001 v6 mustang. I can drive for hours and it'll crank right up. Did a write up on here and even have a vid on youtube if interested. Good luck!

Thanks for the feed back everyone. Car getting full of construction dust in the garage. Need to find the cover. Basement apartment 80% done for my daughter and family, so hope to get back into the car soon. Still only have about 700 miles on new rebuild, and need to get all the lights working so I can drive it past 6pm. Still have lots of so called friends who said it would forever be and expensive garage orniment. hah hah to vettes, T/A's and IROC's on blocks. I' m the only Ford guy, and mine's rolling.

Alan L

I had this issue on my car I was fighting for a few years. Turned out to be a weak battery. I put a Optima in it and it is amazing how fast the car cranks now. It still sometimes strains a bit at first when hit but never fails to get going after the initial turnover.

Good morning to most. Bin awhile since I was on last, about 200 members ago. Have put about 700 mile on OH motor now and must let her sit and cool for about 15minutes before stater will crank to restart. Does crank fine cold. Maybe header heat and weak starter to blam? Chevy co-worker metioned could be lower bearing concern which raised some hairs on the back of my neck. Has new starter cable which does get warm (starter draw) Does anyone know if other year fords use the same starters? Have rebuilt lots of starters in my day but not parts avail. now.

Alan L
Mine did the same thing...get hot...even if i just made a quick run to the store..would leave me stranded at the gas pumps...cable going to the starter would get hot..and it would act like i was out of power..but soon as i let it sit for ..mmmm 15 min..it would crank over just fine..i had to replace my starter and wire....i guess a starter can ground out inside and go bad..even know it still works and starts the car fine...lol..well..does fine till it warms up....i would touch the wire where it met the silinoid and even the bolt would be hot...but wiring coming out othere side..just fine....was starter not silinoid...<~~ i replaced it first thinking it was my problem...got new battery...same deal still...replaced starter,,...woot....lol.hope it helps!!

Back