chrome???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Not sure if I want any chrome on the outside of the Mustang when I am done with the Restomod. I am going to paint her a few shades darker than Grabber Blue with a modified black mach 1 stripe and modified black on the hood. Big decision is to get all of my chrome trim "black chromed" or just have it all powder coated black. Anyone done anything like this, if so how does it look and was it worth the minor adjustment to you? Got any Pictures of it? Keep in mind I will be doing this to all the exterior trim - bumpers, windshield trim, rear window trim, drip rails, and vinyl top trim. The vinyl will of course be black as well.

I couldn't find any pictures, but I think the black chrome would look really nice on it, especially with the black stripe and hood.

Sounds like a great idea. I'm going to go with the metallic green but with black to-tone to give it a more steath look. That would definetly fit into the plan. Keep us posted as to where/how/how much. I worked at an anodizing shop in high school so I know anything is possible.

I personally am into originality but i understand perfectly your goal! If my memory is still good (dont think so je!) there's some profesional modifying work on our era stangs over the net... Google it, maybe theres something that can help you...

Actually my car has the trae bumper painted to match the body color and in design matters, it is a good way to go... I personally think that with the urethane front bumper, the rear being chromed is not the best factory choice...

As for the trims... I think scott did something like that in hin Camaro.. It is posted somewhere in here... That can be abortar start point!

Keep us up to date! ;)

I personally am into originality but i understand perfectly your goal! If my memory is still good (dont think so je!) there's some profesional modifying work on our era stangs over the net... Google it, maybe theres something that can help you...

Actually my car has the trae bumper painted to match the body color and in design matters, it is a good way to go... I personally think that with the urethane front bumper, the rear being chromed is not the best factory choice...

As for the trims... I think scott did something like that in hin Camaro.. It is posted somewhere in here... That can be abortar start point!

Keep us up to date! ;)
Here's the thread I think you're referring to.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-some-pics-of-the-camaro-blackout-treatment

I personally like the trim blackened to any extent.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also had the same worries about the powder coating Tn. I had thought about painting the bumpers the body color, but kinda want all the trim to match. Having a hard time finding a chromer that does black chrome with tanks that will fit my bumpers though. Maybe I will have to paint the bumpers the body color and do all the other trim to include the fender extensions and the hood trim in black chrome. So if I do all of that, what do I do for wheels??? Oh and I forgot about the door handles, should I just shave them? WAY too many options to decide on!

I also had the same worries about the powder coating Tn. I had thought about painting the bumpers the body color, but kinda want all the trim to match. Having a hard time finding a chromer that does black chrome with tanks that will fit my bumpers though. Maybe I will have to paint the bumpers the body color and do all the other trim to include the fender extensions and the hood trim in black chrome. So if I do all of that, what do I do for wheels??? Oh and I forgot about the door handles, should I just shave them? WAY too many options to decide on!
Check these out in black chrome

http://www.coyswheel.com/coys.html

Not sure if I want any chrome on the outside of the Mustang when I am done with the Restomod. I am going to paint her a few shades darker than Grabber Blue with a modified black mach 1 stripe and modified black on the hood. Big decision is to get all of my chrome trim "black chromed" or just have it all powder coated black. Anyone done anything like this, if so how does it look and was it worth the minor adjustment to you? Got any Pictures of it? Keep in mind I will be doing this to all the exterior trim - bumpers, windshield trim, rear window trim, drip rails, and vinyl top trim. The vinyl will of course be black as well.
Here's the deal & how I did the windshield moldings on my camaro. I decided to just use flat satin black krylon with sherwin willams self etching primer..The reason being that If I ever want to go back to chrome I can (just wipe off the finish with thinner) The moldings for the camaro are very hard to find in good condition which mine are (just like our mustangs original moldings in good shape are hard to find) ONCE you powder coat you can never go back to the original finish. I just cleaned mine very good with thinner..then used wax & grease remover...then a coat of the primer..then 3 coats of paint..Bumpers are a different story & they need to be media blasted or sanded to remove all the chrome then you do your body work then primer then paint.

I do intend to do the same thing to my stang

Here's a better pic of how mine came out

100_2596.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is link to a spray chroming kit.

I seen this on a show that they interviewed Jay Lenno in his garage, apparently he is the largest car collector in the world.

You have to check out the video as this looks like a realy good method to fix up trim parts, not sure if i would do this to a bumper.

They have the black and other chrome as well

http://www.innate.com/Paint/Chrome/Chrome_Sampler.htm

http://www.innate.com/flash/chrome.htm

I would say for a resto mod, go for the black chrome unless the other candy colours work.

On line there are guys doing the the whole body of thier rice buners with this stuff.

This is what i will do for my trim clean up.

If its good enough for Jay Lenno it should be good enough for my trim.

Back