rear spoiler help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnfastbk

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
Well I found out the hard way last night that my car did not come from the factory with a rear spoiler and whoever installed it had no clue. It was installed backwards and flush with the end of the deck lid. When we attempted to just reverse it. it over hung the trunk by half the spoiler. So the deck lid id off to be welded up, re-drilled and repainted. Anyone have proper dimensions on the correct install.

****found some good info***** but want to verify it

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes) spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)

Rear Spoiler

The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation.

By the way, if you are adding a rear spoiler to your to a non spoiler decklid, you will need to change the torsion rods, otherwise, the extra weight of the spoiler will keep your decklid from staying propped open when the trunk is open.

There are two different torsion rods (aka springs) for the Mustang SportsRoof. The ones without spoiler are (D1ZZ-6344890-A and D1ZZ-6344891-A). The for use with a spoiler are (D1ZZ-66344890-B and D1ZZ-6344891-B).

Rear Spoiler Installation Location

If you want to install a rear spoiler on your 71 Mustang decklid, below are measurements taken on a decklid with a factory spoiler installation. Measurements of the location of the factory holes are shown in the photo at left and center left. The holes are centered 6 1/4" inboard of the decklid side edge on both sides. The fore & aft dimensions are as shown below and apply to mounting pedestals on both sides.

Pictures of hole locations on underside of Decklid

A note about the Correct Front/Rear Edge Orientation of the Spoiler

Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!

SpoilerLocation2.jpg

Good info Roy, When i first got my Mach 1 i did not pay attention to the way the spoiler was mounted and this is what happens when you hit triple digits with a backwards spoiler :mad:
Photo-0025.jpg
Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0024.jpg
since then i have a new spoiler mounted the correct way :D

Makes you happy knowing there are now forums like this and a way to talk to people to make sure you do the job right. I am still working on my spoiler idea. Just trying to decide if I want to use a bandsaw to shape it or a grinder. Either way its going to be different.

Just wanted to include that there are 2 different spoiler pedestal width (center to center. The 71-73 is 33 inches and the 70 is 35+. These measurements may not be exact so if someone find the correct ones please post them. the 35+ peds are the most common original ones found. I have 2. My cars are not going to be concourse so I think I will use what I have. I think Don at OMS has the correct width in an aftermarket spoiler. Mark

Well now I'm really confused, I see in the diagram that the trimmed off edge is to the front.

What is now correct?
The picture below is correct. The picture in the post above of the destroyed spoiler is what can happen if you put it on backwards.

1972-mach-1-rear-spoiler.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
CAn someone with a factory mounted spoiler please post a pic
You previously posted dimensions look very close. The picture isn't exactly what you wanted but as close as I could get without removing the spoiler. The measurements are taken centered on the front edge of the stand. It is a factory installed rear spoiler car with the original spoiler. Chuck

09-26-11_1621.jpg

Good info Roy, When i first got my Mach 1 i did not pay attention to the way the spoiler was mounted and this is what happens when you hit triple digits with a backwards spoiler :mad:
Photo-0025.jpg
Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0024.jpg
since then i have a new spoiler mounted the correct way :D
Now that is impressive! A little expensive, but impressive!:cool:

Back