rear spoiler help

Tnfastbk

Well I found out the hard way last night that my car did not come from the factory with a rear spoiler and whoever installed it had no clue. It was installed backwards and flush with the end of the deck lid. When we attempted to just reverse it. it over hung the trunk by half the spoiler. So the deck lid id off to be welded up, re-drilled and repainted. Anyone have proper dimensions on the correct install.

****found some good info***** but want to verify it

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes) spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)

Rear Spoiler

The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation.

By the way, if you are adding a rear spoiler to your to a non spoiler decklid, you will need to change the torsion rods, otherwise, the extra weight of the spoiler will keep your decklid from staying propped open when the trunk is open.

There are two different torsion rods (aka springs) for the Mustang SportsRoof. The ones without spoiler are (D1ZZ-6344890-A and D1ZZ-6344891-A). The for use with a spoiler are (D1ZZ-66344890-B and D1ZZ-6344891-B).

Rear Spoiler Installation Location

If you want to install a rear spoiler on your 71 Mustang decklid, below are measurements taken on a decklid with a factory spoiler installation. Measurements of the location of the factory holes are shown in the photo at left and center left. The holes are centered 6 1/4" inboard of the decklid side edge on both sides. The fore & aft dimensions are as shown below and apply to mounting pedestals on both sides.

Pictures of hole locations on underside of Decklid

A note about the Correct Front/Rear Edge Orientation of the Spoiler

Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!

SpoilerLocation2.jpg.d294be8c826a598278f8cf7765bbf6a8.jpg

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good info Roy, When i first got my Mach 1 i did not pay attention to the way the spoiler was mounted and this is what happens when you hit triple digits with a backwards spoiler :@ Photo-0025.jpg Photo-0027.jpg Photo-0024.jpg since then i have a new spoiler mounted the correct way :D

2zdx09d.png

Yea,Tho i cruise through the valley of the shadow of rice,I will fear no Turbo,For Torque art with me.Thy rods and crankshaft,they comfort me. :D Robert [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=357]Visit My Garage[/button]

Thanks for the info.....my spoiler is mounted totally wrong. I thought that it was just mounted on the posts wrong but ....the posts are backwards also.

1_14_01_12_10_54_29.png

Ken

73 Convertible 302-4v-3spd yellow /white int

08 Bullitt 4.6-5 spd black/black int

All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=327]Visit My Garage[/button]

Makes you happy knowing there are now forums like this and a way to talk to people to make sure you do the job right. I am still working on my spoiler idea. Just trying to decide if I want to use a bandsaw to shape it or a grinder. Either way its going to be different.

2011 Buick Regal

2010 Ford F150 Screw

2002 Triumph Trophy

1973 Dodge Challenger RT

1972 Mustang Grande Coupe

1954 Ford F100

Just wanted to include that there are 2 different spoiler pedestal width (center to center. The 71-73 is 33 inches and the 70 is 35+. These measurements may not be exact so if someone find the correct ones please post them. the 35+ peds are the most common original ones found. I have 2. My cars are not going to be concourse so I think I will use what I have. I think Don at OMS has the correct width in an aftermarket spoiler. Mark

My garage http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=40

73 mach 1 351c 4v cc ported, torker2, 750 edelbrock,C6.

73 fastback 351c 2v,performer intake,600 edelbrock,fmx, 325 trac-lok.

Well now I'm really confused, I see in the diagram that the trimmed off edge is to the front.

What is now correct?

"If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower."

Mark Donohue (*1937 †1975)

Well now I'm really confused, I see in the diagram that the trimmed off edge is to the front.

What is now correct?

The picture below is correct. The picture in the post above of the destroyed spoiler is what can happen if you put it on backwards.

1972-mach-1-rear-spoiler.jpg

Brett

phonestang2.jpg

CAn someone with a factory mounted spoiler please post a pic

You previously posted dimensions look very close. The picture isn't exactly what you wanted but as close as I could get without removing the spoiler. The measurements are taken centered on the front edge of the stand. It is a factory installed rear spoiler car with the original spoiler. Chuck

09-26-11_1621.thumb.jpg.5f0319685a48832d4202884b87161d67.jpg

Good info Roy, When i first got my Mach 1 i did not pay attention to the way the spoiler was mounted and this is what happens when you hit triple digits with a backwards spoiler :@ Photo-0025.jpg Photo-0027.jpg Photo-0024.jpg since then i have a new spoiler mounted the correct way :D

Now that is impressive! A little expensive, but impressive!:cool:

Mine was installed wrong when I bought it....didn't know it was on wrong initiallly and re-installed it wrong again after the restoration and taking pics posted in my garage on here, but thanks to the members of this site it's now installed correctly :D

Real American Muscle.....Go Navy! Go Mustang!

"The World is a dangerous place.

Not because of the people who are evil;

but because of the people who don’t do anything about it."

Albert Einstein

My garage: Updated 4/15/2012

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mach-1--2612

Guest BigPinoyHunk

Well I found out the hard way last night that my car did not come from the factory with a rear spoiler and whoever installed it had no clue. It was installed backwards and flush with the end of the deck lid. When we attempted to just reverse it. it over hung the trunk by half the spoiler. So the deck lid id off to be welded up, re-drilled and repainted. Anyone have proper dimensions on the correct install.

****found some good info***** but want to verify it

rearSpoiler2.jpg (40546 bytes) spoiler.jpg (6988 bytes)

Rear Spoiler

The rear spoiler was a factory option available on the Mach 1, Boss 351 and Sports roof. A low-gloss textured black paint was used on it from the factory. The diagram below shows the spoiler installation.

By the way, if you are adding a rear spoiler to your to a non spoiler decklid, you will need to change the torsion rods, otherwise, the extra weight of the spoiler will keep your decklid from staying propped open when the trunk is open.

There are two different torsion rods (aka springs) for the Mustang SportsRoof. The ones without spoiler are (D1ZZ-6344890-A and D1ZZ-6344891-A). The for use with a spoiler are (D1ZZ-66344890-B and D1ZZ-6344891-B).

Rear Spoiler Installation Location

If you want to install a rear spoiler on your 71 Mustang decklid, below are measurements taken on a decklid with a factory spoiler installation. Measurements of the location of the factory holes are shown in the photo at left and center left. The holes are centered 6 1/4" inboard of the decklid side edge on both sides. The fore & aft dimensions are as shown below and apply to mounting pedestals on both sides.

Pictures of hole locations on underside of Decklid

A note about the Correct Front/Rear Edge Orientation of the Spoiler

Some 71 - 73 Mustang owners have no idea that they have their spoilers installed backwards. As shown in the diagram above, the spoiler leading (front) edge is the thicker side while the trailing (rear edge) should be the thinner portion of the spoiler. When the spoiler is on correctly, the trimmed off edge (noted by red line in photo below left) will be at the rear. Check yours out!

i'm a recent victim of that too. however if i reverse the spoiler the trunk won't stay open and hangs off the deck lid. i just said forget it and left it backwards. i mean, only US will know.

I just measured my '73 and it's different. I will say that when I looked at the car, I thought the spoiler was further to the rear than my old '72 was. I measure 33 1/8 inch, center to center on the pedastals, 10" from the front edge of the trunk to the front edge of the spoiler pedastal and 6 1/2" from the edge to the center of the pedastal. I wondered at the time if the spoiler was placed further back in '73 to visually match the bumper change, or if the spoiler was added. I guess I better get around to ordering a Marti on it. I have one for my other Mustangs.

Steve

I just measured my '73 and it's different. I will say that when I looked at the car, I thought the spoiler was further to the rear than my old '72 was. I measure 33 1/8 inch, center to center on the pedastals, 10" from the front edge of the trunk to the front edge of the spoiler pedastal and 6 1/2" from the edge to the center of the pedastal. I wondered at the time if the spoiler was placed further back in '73 to visually match the bumper change, or if the spoiler was added. I guess I better get around to ordering a Marti on it. I have one for my other Mustangs.

Steve

Hey Steve,I am out of town in California,I will be back to my shop on Wendsday. I will get the measurements from my car. It is factory installed. FYI, I have the deluxe Marti report on my car and it does not show it on there. I am still wondering if it was part of a package? That was a good point about the 73's setting further back because of the bumper. I have had it parked next to other 71-72s and never noticed any differance. Eddie

16kuyc0.jpg

It would be interesting to see where other '73's have the spoiler. I'm going off a 20 year old memory of my '72, but when I remounted the spoiler after paint, it struck me as different. The spoiler might be part of a package. I have the hood paint and locks, so maybe it was included in something.

Steve