Front bumper question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Coupe
2001 Coupe
Our 72 coupe has a chrome front bumper. My 73 donor had a urethane front bumper. I've seen pics of 72s with the same style bumper as those I see on 73s. Can any of you historians clarify this for me? Did they switch the style in the production year? Is it a coupe v. fastback issue? Something else?

Thanks.

Mark

73 front bumpers are different from the 71 72's they are longer that is why the they didn't have the lights underneath the bumpers anymore and were just in the grille.I am not sure they will fit but I am sure cobra 3073 will give you the answer.The bumpers were changes for low speed accidents law.

as far as I remember they are two total different animals. The 71 & 72 were more of a cover (thin shell only) and the 73 was an impact urethane bumper. My uncle put a 71 bumper set up on his 73 but he used all 71 brackets, fenders, etc. Not sure but don't see why it would not work with all brackets, etc. But the 73 is a very heavy set up compared to the others, so if weight is a concern that would be something else to consider.

a 72 coupe would of had the chrome bumper that is correct, the urethane color keyed bumper was only available for the mach 1 fastback body style.

however you can retrofit any 71-72 with a rubber bumper from a mach 1. the bumper supports are the same for all 71-72 car models and you can interchange chrome or rubber bumpers.

for 73 Government regulations required 5mph collision bumpers. this required the front end of the 73 to receive re-enforcements. for 73 all models received the same rubber color keyed 5mph impact bumper. This bumper is a different animal from the 71-72 rubber bumper.

you can't retrofit 73 bumper on a early car without a lot of welding work, you would also need to change the front fenders and modify the engine harness to relocate the turn signal lights which were re-located to the grill from under the bumper in 73 again due to government rule changes.

its easier to retrofit a 73 car with a 71 or 72 bumper system then to go the other way.

yes with alot of work you could install a 73 bumper on a 72 however its easier to try and find a 71-72 rubber bumper and install that.

Our 72 coupe has a chrome front bumper. My 73 donor had a urethane front bumper. I've seen pics of 72s with the same style bumper as those I see on 73s. Can any of you historians clarify this for me? Did they switch the style in the production year? Is it a coupe v. fastback issue? Something else?

Thanks.

Mark
71-72 urethane bumper was used on Mach 1s and the sport package coupe. The 73 bumper is a significantly different part and requires different front fenders and fender extensions. The change was made to meet federal regulation regarding 5 mph frontal impact damage.

Chuck

All 72 sprints came with the urethane front bumper.

quote='c9zx' pid='2710' dateline='1285945981']

Thanks.

Mark
71-72 urethane bumper was used on Mach 1s and the sport package coupe. The 73 bumper is a significantly different part and requires different front fenders and fender extensions. The change was made to meet federal regulation regarding 5 mph frontal impact damage.

Chuck

my 72 sprint convertible has the urethane front bumper, and was born with it, so it was´nt only the mach 1 who had it...

All 72 sprints came with the urethane front bumper.

quote='c9zx' pid='2710' dateline='1285945981']

Thanks.

Mark

Chuck

Thanks for the info, guys. So it appears that all fastbacks and sprints had the urethane cover and coupes got the chrome. I'm good with our chrome front bumper, but was curious because I've seen pics of 72s with both styles and wasn't quite sure.

Mark

To clarify, not ALL fastbacks had the urethane bumper. If you had a "regular" fastback and not a Mach1 it had a chrome bumper with the chrome hood and fender molding. To make it more confusing the 71 Boss 351's had a front chrome bumper but not the chrome trim.

Thanks for the info, guys. So it appears that all fastbacks and sprints had the urethane cover and coupes got the chrome. I'm good with our chrome front bumper, but was curious because I've seen pics of 72s with both styles and wasn't quite sure.

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
To clarify, not ALL fastbacks had the urethane bumper. If you had a "regular" fastback and not a Mach1 it had a chrome bumper with the chrome hood and fender molding. To make it more confusing the 71 Boss 351's had a front chrome bumper but not the chrome trim.

Mark
The Boss is simply a stripped down version to cut weight wherever it could. No fancy chrome plating and options like the Mach1. The chrome bumper weighed a lot less than the urethan bumpers. No chrome frills or honeycomb panels.

I don't like the Chrome front bumper so I changed mine to the 73 rubber bumper, which looks so cool and stylish. That's just my preference. You need 73 bumper brackets & either 73 fenders or some mods done to your 71-72. Good luck.

I don't like the Chrome front bumper so I changed mine to the 73 rubber bumper, which looks so cool and stylish. That's just my preference. You need 73 bumper brackets & either 73 fenders or some mods done to your 71-72. Good luck.
We have a complete 73 front bumber with brackets, but man they would cost a fortune to ship.

I learn something on just about every post I read on our forum. Cool!

but what about the convertibles? I've seen pics of verts with both style of bumpers.

Back